Thogayals are favorites to all of us, especially my husband likes it very much. My mother-in-law is very good in making these. I can say these thogayals are among the best of her recipes. The ratio of tamarind, red chillies,salt is very important here. Even if one goes high,we cant get the exact flavor & taste. In our daily lunch, we definitely have any one of these thogayals. We mix this with rice and eat. You can have this as an accompaniment for curd rice, all tiffin items (idly, dosa, upma, pongal etc.) too. Even my two year old baby likes it :) .. Also i pack this thogayal rice for my husband’s lunch which is his favorite lunch box recipe
We make thogayal with curry leaves, coriander leaves, mint, gongura, garlic, ridge gourd, brinjal ,gooseberry etc.
Here I have mentioned the recipe for coriander leaves thogayal. Soon I will post the remaining.
CORIANDER LEAVES THOGAYAL
|Coriander leaves /Cilantro|
A Medium size bunch ( 1 cup loosely packed)
|Tamarind||medium gooseberry size|
|Red chilly||5-6 nos|
|Urad dal||1.5 tbsp|
|Asafoetida / hing||1/4 tsp (optional – i dont use)|
|Jaggery||A small piece|
|Grated coconut||2 tbsp (optional)|
METHOD OF PREPARATION:
1. Wash coriander leaves. Soak tamarind in little hot water.
2. Heat a kadai with 1 tbsp of oil and add red chillies , Urad dal and Asafetida. Roast it and keep it apart.
3.Now grind the roasted red chillies,urad dal ,soaked tamarind with salt and jaggery (should be very less), & grated coconut .Then add the coriander leaves. Make it a paste. Use the soaked tamarind water to grind.
4. Finally add Urad dal with Asafetida and run the mixer only once. Use inch/juicer option. Urad dhal should not be ground smooth.
5. Now heat a kadai with little gingely oil ( 1 tbsp) and put the thogayal into it. The water content in it will be absorbed and heat it for a while. It can be refrigerated and kept for 10 days.But this step is purely optional. U can enjoy this thogayal without sauting in oil. But shelf life will be reduced..
Delicious coriander leaves thogayal is ready to be served hot with rice. Enjoy!!KITCHEN CLINIC
|1. CORIANDER LEAVES ARE RICH IN IRON. |
2. IT IMPROVES DIGESTION AND LOSS OF APPETITE
3. IT CONTROLS BLOOD PRESSURE. SO BP PATIENTS CAN REGULARLY HAVE THIS IN THEIR DIET.