I still remember the days i ran behind the Bombay kulfi walahs to buy mouth watering , 1 rupee , cone shaped kulfis..I really crave for those kulfis now …Last month we had been to my native and there i tasted Matka kulfi , my hubby’s favourite..After tasting it, i got an idea to try my own.So I washed those matkas and took home ..I tried and Yes,I got the same taste..My husband was very happy when i prepared this for him..Generally, Kulfis are prepared using a combination of condensed, evaporated and whole Milk..But i prepared in a very simple way..Here is the recipe,
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 2 –3 tbsp (adjust )
- Cardamom powder – 3 - 4 pods (powdered )
- Saffron threads - few
- Almonds and pistachios – Few (finely chopped )
- Take the milk in a Microwave safe wide bowl .The bowl should accommodate at least two litres of milk to avoid spill over.Please see to it..
- Microwave high for 10 minutes..Remove the bowl and stir well.If u want u can remove and collect the skin( paal aadai), blend it at the end to a paste and add to the milk ..But I mixed the skin as it is along with the milk..
- Microwave again till the milk is reduced to half in volume.. (My MW took nearly 25- 30 mins to complete the process....Adjust the timings according to urs..)
- Then add sugar, saffron threads and cardamom powder, mix it and MW high for 5 mins..Let the sugar dissolve well and boil…
- Finally add the chopped almonds and pistachios and mix well.
- Pour into the moulds and freeze it for a minimum of 6 hours..
- The above process can be done using stove top method . Take the milk in a wide mouthed kadai and boil the milk till it is reduced to half in volume..
- Give a constant stir and simmer the flame to avoid the spill over..
- Then add sugar, cardamom powder and saffron threads..
- Mix well and boil till sugar dissolves completely..
- Finally garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios.
Health benefits of milk include good bone health, robust skin, good immune system, prevention of illnesses such as hypertension, dental decay, hydration, respiratory problems, obesity, osteoporosis and even some forms of cancer. The beneficial health nutrients obtained from milk are mandatory for human body and for prevention of chronic ailments.
Health benefits of milk have always influenced people all over the world to include it in diet. Milk is the best and complete food that is widely considered a well-balanced diet. Many animals do provide us with this vital health liquid, but cow’s milk is considered the best wholesome supplement to solid food for infants, children as well as adults. Milk is an ideal source of nutrients such as vitamin A & B, calcium, carbohydrate, phosphorous, magnesium, protein, zinc and riboflavin. The Teagas Dairy Products Research Centre at Moore park, Fermoy has reported recent research on the utility of milk in neutralizing cholesterol content in the body.
The health benefits of milk can be achieved from its products including cheese, butter, curds, clarified butter or ghee, condensed milk, diary whitener, ice cream, paneer, tofu, skimmed milk, milk powder, flavored milk, khoya, rabri, milk sweets etc. The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has clearly mentioned in its Dietary Guidelines to include milk and milk products in the diet.
Deficiency Symptoms: Milk deficiency can cause severe anemia, osteoporosis and other related illnesses. Milk consumption is very essential to maintain good health and doing normal activities. It is the best source of calcium for all age groups.
Benefits: Milk is extremely beneficial drink for mankind. Some of the advantages of drinking this life-giving nectar are as follows:
TRIED & TASTED
Spicy Peanut powder from Lubna’s blog:
I tried this yummy peanut powder from Kitchen flavours as a side dish for dosa..My husband liked it very much..THANKS A LOT LUBNA!!
Bye for now..take care..