- Ripe tomato – 1 no (big )
- Big onion – 1 no (should be slightly lesser than tomato in size )
- Red chilly – 2 - 3 nos ( adjust according to ur taste)
- Coconut pieces – 2 tbsp or 1/8 cup of grated coconut.
- Asafetida / Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – To saute
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Red chilly – 1 no (whole one ) (i dint use this time)
- Heat a tbsp of oil and fry dry red chillies along with chopped onion until translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until it becomes soft and mushy.
- When done, let cool completely and grind along with asafetida, coconut and salt.
- Add water only if its necessary or to run the mixie.
- Heat a tsp of oil and temper using mustard, urad dal, red chili and curry leaves.
- Serve a spoon drizzled with Gingely / sesame oil with idly or dosa !!
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Dhalia / Fried gram dal /Pottu kadalai– 1.5 tsp
- Green chilly – 3-4 nos (small)
- Garlic cloves – 2-3 nos
- Small onion – 1-2 no
- Salt & water – As needed.
- Dry red chilly – 1 no
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – A sprig
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Grind fresh grated coconut along with dalia, green chillies, garlic , small onion and salt.Add little water for thick chutney (For thin chutney add more water while grinding)..
- Heat oil, splutter mustard, split urad dal , red chilly and curry leaves..
- Add this to the chutney and mix.
- Serve fresh with idly/ dosa !!
- This chutney can be done by simply grinding coconut , green chillies & a piece of ginger to a smooth paste and temper at the end.
- In this method garlic and small onion is very important. U can also add little coriander or mint leaves in this recipe to make hotel green chutney.
- To get a nice green color , just wash & saute the leaves in little oil before grinding and add..Soon i'll post another version of green chutney..
- I've tried all the methods and everything tastes the best..
Some DO’s & Don’ts :
1. Always use fresh grated coconut, little brown coating of shell skin is ok to use. More coconut less pottukadalai/Fried gram is also a must for white chutneys.
2. Less water for Khatti (thick )chutney, add only if its necessary to run your mixie.
3. Indian mixer mate or small jars are a must. American Oster mixer comes with a small jar attachment which also works well.
4. Use small green chillies and always use less green chilies for white color chutney and increase the spiciness by tempering with more red chilies. This answers the question "Why my chutney looks green"?
1. Ready made flakes or desiccated flakes or frozen grated coconut will work but don't except taste and color. Mostly yuck, pale white color with oily look.
2. No microwaving for reheating, just thaw to bring back to room temperature. Reheating makes it release more oil and which results in stinky coconut smell.
3. Blender will not work for thick chutney and adding more water will make it thin but consistency will be still coarse.
TRIED & TASTED :
SET DOSA AND VEG SAGU FROM RUCHII !!
I prepared this when my in-laws were here.It was very nice , soft & spongy.We all ate well.Thanks a lot Madhu..I treasure this recipe