- Wash and soak the rice and dal varieties separately for 2 hrs.
- Coarse grind the rice along with red chilly,salt and hing in a mixie by adding little water in between(should be like semolina/rava).
- Then coarse grind the dhal by adding little water.
- Mix the ground rice & dhal well.
- Heat and grease the Paniyaram pan with oil .Pour the batter in each mould till half – full.
- Keep in high flame and cook for 2 mins by closing the lid.
- Now simmer the flame and flip the paniyaram using a fork & spoon.Prick it with the fork for even cooking.
- Again cook in low heat to make sure they cook all the way through.
- parboiled Rice / idly rice - 2 cups
- Toor Dal – 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Water – To grind
- Pepper – 1 tsp
- Jeera / cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Small pieces of coconut – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak rice,dal with methi seeds for 2 hrs and grind it like a dosa batter.
- We made the batter in the morning and kept for 7-8 hrs to ferment.
- Add the pepper,jeera and coconut pieces into it and mix well.
- As usual, grease the paniyaram pan with oil and Scoop with Spoon off way each hole .
- Cover and cook for 2 mins.Flip it and again cover cook for 2 mins.
- It consumes very less oil ,at the same time it is very crispy.
Iam very happy in sending this to srimathi’s chettinad vegetarian cuisine.Hope she’ll accept this:)
This is my mom‘s paniyaram recipe. I just love this.I like this more than all the above said ones.Last week when i was with my mom, she made this just for me :)I know this one has been blogged many times by different people in the blogosphere. I decided to post it anyway . The recipe is pretty straight forward.
To the leftover dosa batter add chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves and grated ginger. Add the seasoning of mustard seeds and urad dal.Heat Paniyaram chatti (skillet). Fill the moulds with oil. I usually add little oil / ghee and add more if required. Cover the skillet. Cook the paniyarams on both sides.
Serve hot with fried gram dal /Pottu kadalai chutney .