I got these recipes from a cook book. I actually wanted to make small ones like nippat which i had in my school days..But i couldn’t make even sized ones..I am bad in making shapes ;) So please don’t look at the shapes ,just at the recipe .But u can try with small round shaped moulds . .It was crispy & tasty..I gave some to my neighbor and the next day she asked the recipe ..She told it was too good and her sons liked it very much.I was very happy because this is the first complement i am getting from the one other than my husband:)
Ok ,coming to the ingredients required:
- Processed Rice flour - 2 cups Or Idiyappam flour
- Roasted & ground urad dal flour OR Fried gram dal powder/ Pottukadalai powder – 1/4 cup
- Fried gram dal/Pottukadalai – 1/4 cup ( more or less depends on u)
- Hot Cooking oil /Butter – 1.5 tbsp
- Pepper powder OR Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Salt & water – as needed.
- Chopped curry leaves – a few
- Oil – for deep frying..
- Take a wide mouthed bowl and Mix all the items with little water & required salt to make a dough ..
- Take a polythene sheet greased with oil.Make small balls with the dough.
- Pat it to make a round shaped thattu vadai on the sheet...(Its better to use a round shaped mould for proper size & shape ).
- Heat Oil in a wok and deep fry on both the sides in medium flame till hiss sound ceases...
- Store in an air tight container and enjoy munching !!
Instead of adding fried gram dal , u can also use 1 hour soaked chana dal..
U can also prick the thatti using a fork before frying to ensure proper cooking.
- Processed Rice flour – 1 cup OR Idiyappam flour
- Dry roast & Ground Urad dal powder – 2 tbsp
- Butter / Hot cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Omam / Ajwain OR Black sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Salt & Water – as needed
- Mix everything in a bowl with required water &salt to make a dough.
- Take the dough in the murukku maker with single star mould in it and press in the hot oil .
- Deep fry on both the sides and store it in an air-tight container.