We usually make poriyal & pachadi with vazhaithandu..This thogayal may be new to some of u.. It tastes yum when mixed with plain rice adding sesame oil and easy to prepare too.We like this a lot.U all can do this for a change.Try & let me know friends
- Raw Banana stem / plantain stem / Vazhaithandu – 1 no (medium size)
- Red chilly – 2-3 nos
- Tamarind – Small gooseberry size
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Hing – 2-3 generous pinches
- Salt & water – as required.
- Oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Remove the fibre (thread like portion ) from the banana stem and chop it finely.
- Soak the chopped pieces into buttermilk or water and set aside.
- Heat a pan with a tbsp of oil and roast the urad dal , redchillies and hing.Keep aside.
- Heat the kadai with a tbsp of oil and add the chopped stem after draining the water / buttermilk ..
- Saute well till its completely cooked.Its quantity will be reduced to half.It may take 10mins. Adding salt at this stage helps in quick cooking.
- Let it cool.Finally grind the cooked stem with roasted ingredients & tamarind , water to a smooth paste.
- Mix with plain rice topped with sesame oil / ghee !! serve with papad as an accompaniment !!
Bye for now friends :)