I had this in my friend’s house.She prepared steamed & deep fried Momos.Both were tasting excellent. We liked it very much.Generally Momos are prepared only with Maida/All purpose flour.I have posted two versions , one with maida & another one with maida & wheat flour in 2 :1 ratio.But the color of wheat ones don't look good ;). After tasting these momos , my MIL started making it with wheat flour.She said it tastes good when eaten hot..More than the color , its healthy , she said :) I prepared a dip /chutney as an accompaniment.It was a nice combination.As i prepared idli along with momos , we had this chutney for both idly & momos. I’ve given the recipe for momo sauce/dip at the end of this post.. As i prepared the dough & filling in very less quantity , i made less number of deep fried momos..
I wanted to update the pictures of momo as it the most popular post in my blog :) ..Before updating the old pictures , i wanted to c the shape of momos served here in restaurants.Last week my hubby took me to a chinese restaurant and there i tasted momos in different shapes.They looked very cute and small in size.. I wanted to try those shapes and i finally got the idea after watching an you tube video of veenas kitchen where she had posted the recipe from the chef’s hands.He had very well explained the different shapes..Thanks a lot to veena’s kitchen and the chef . I have tried to give the step by step pictures for different shapes. Hope i can make it perfect in future ..Last but not the least , momos has to be served really hot to enjoy its original flavour & taste..
- Maida – 1 cup
- Cooking oil - 1 tsp ( to make dough) +1 tsp ( to add in steaming water)
- Salt & water – as required.
- Carrot – 2 nos (Finely chopped )
- Cabbage – 1 cup ( finely shredded / chopped )
- Big onion – 2 nos (-d0-)
- Garlic – 5-8 flakes (-do-)
- White Pepper powder - 1 tsp (adjust)
- Soya sauce – 1/2 tsp
- Ajinomoto – 2 pinches (optional)
- Salt – As required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mix Maida with salt,water and a tsp of oil to make a soft pliable dough.Keep it covered for 30 minutes.
- Chop all the vegetables very finely..Take a wide mouthed kadai with 2tbsp of oil and add the onions & garlic pieces.Saute for sometime.Then add vegetables.
- Saute well in high flame, keep tossing for 3 minutes.Add salt , soya sauce ,White pepper powder and Ajinomoto (optional ).Toss it well and switch off the flame.
- Now take the dough and make very small sized balls ( 20 gms weight) of even size.
- Roll it to make a thin small poori of 4-5 inches. Then take a tsp of stuffing and keep it in the center of the poori.
- I made three different shapes of momos .. Here they are
- Please refer here for the last shape..
- Arrange the momos in a greased plate & steam in an idli pot for 10-15 mins or deep fry it.. Add a tsp of oil in idli pot water while steaming !!
- Garlic flakes – 10 nos
- Red chilly – 4 nos ( adjust)
- Tomato - 1 no
- Vinegar – 1 tsp (adjust based on the no of red chillies used)
- Salt & water – as required.
- Grind all the ingredients given above with little water.(Since the quantity is very less, i used little water to grind)
Transfer to a serving bowl and Enjoy with Momos / Idly / Dosa.
Here is a picture of momo with wheat & maida combination …Here i used 3/4 cup of maida & 1/4 cup of wheat flour..
I’ll start the kitchen clinic , Tried & Tasted sections from my next post..