I learnt this from my MIL and prepared this for the first time..I loved it a lot.. Its nothing but the usual vatral kuzhambu with ripe mango in it.. .U can try this with ur own sambar powder also or with red chilly powder & Dania seeds powder in 1:2 ratio ..
- Ripe mango – 1 no ( cut into 3 slices but mango should be whole.Hope u can understand from the above picture )
- Tamarind – Big gooseberry size
- Sambar powder –1.5 -2 tbsp
- Salt & water – As needed.
- Mustard seeds – 1 / 2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Toor dal – 1 tsp
- Small onion – 5 nos (finely chopped )
- Garlic flakes – 4 nos (finely chopped)
- Whole Garlic flakes – 10 nos
- Curry leaves – a few (chopped )
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat a kadai with oil and temper the items given above in the same order except whole garlic flakes.Keep it in low flame.
- Add the whole garlic flakes and saute till it changes golden brown.Nice aroma wafts around.
- Now add the tamarind extract , sambar powder , turmeric powder , salt & required water.
- Let it boil for sometime..Then add the sliced whole mango and allow it to cook in the tamarind extract.
- Make sure there is enough water for the mango to cook.Cover with a lid.
- After sometime check whether the mango is done by pressing the outer skin.
- Switch off the flame .Pour a tbsp of sesame oil and few curry leaves on the gravy and dont mix it.This gives a special flavor to the vatral kuzhambu.
- Remove and serve hot with white rice and sesame oil.
|MANGO : |
Refer the benefits of mango here..