I love morkuzhambu. Its the simplest , easiest , hassle free curry that can be prepared in no time. I usually follow my mil’s method.For a change ,i tried my mom’s method today.My mom always add masal vada in this kuzhambu. That gives an additional flavor and taste. Sometimes she adds ladys finger too. But i dint add anything ..I just added shallots , njoyed with hot rice and carrot-beans poriyal. Slurpppppp…. it was yummmy.
For 1 person:
- Buttermilk – 1/2 cup
- Gram flour – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt & water – As needed.
To grind :
- Coconut – 1 small piece or 1 tbsp grated
- Green chilly – 1 no
- Garlic – 1 flake
- Ginger – a tiny piece
- Shallot / small onion – 1 no
- Jeera / cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
To temper & saute:
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly – 1/2 no (pinched into two)
- Sambar onions/ shallots – 5 nos (finely chopped)
To garnish :
- Coriander leaves – a few
- In a bowl whisk the sour curd and add little water,salt, ground paste ,gram flour and mix well..
- In a kadai temper the items given above and add it to the buttermilk mixture.
- Keep the bowl in medium flame and allow the buttermilk to boil & rise.
- Mix with the ladle and again allow it to boil for few seconds.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and Serve hot
- Do not allow the buttermilk mixture to roll boil.It should just raise.
- Roll boiling makes the gravy watery and lose all its taste.Hope u all know this..:)
KITCHEN CLINIC :
|BUTTERMILK : |
Buttermilk is lower in fat than regular milk, because the fat has been removed to make butter. It is also high in potassium, vitamin B12, calcium, and riboflavin as well as a good source of phosphorus.
Earlier, buttermilk was termed to that liquid that was left over after the butter was churned from cream. During this churning of cream, butter was one resulting compound which used to be in a semi-solid form and the other part was a liquid. Now because this liquid was accompanied with butter, it came to be known as buttermilk.
But it is a misconception amongst many people that buttermilk contains a high fat amount. This is totally wrong and untrue. Just because its name has butter does not mean that buttermilk contains fat. In fact, buttermilk contains even lesser amount of fat than the regular milk because all the fat is contained in butter, which is another compound obtained after churning cream.
Buttermilk is highly effective in reducing the amount of heat in our body. Therefore, people consume buttermilk in large quantity during the summer season. Also, people facing problems with digestion are advised to consume buttermilk with a small amount of rock salt as it is easy to digest. It is worth mentioning that buttermilk is rich in potassium, Vitamin B12, phosphorus and calcium. Lactic acid is another vital ingredient of buttermilk, which is produced by lactic acid bacteria and this helps us in keeping our immune system stronger.
Because of all such benefits, many times physicians advise patients to consume buttermilk instead of milk as it contains less fat, calories and skim milk. And the best part is that one can consume buttermilk anytime as a drink, which is refreshing and healthy!