Though i have posted some pickles from my MIL’s hand , I feel this post is somewhat special as i made it on my own using less oil for first time.The result was completely satisfactory.Click here to see another healthy , quick side dish for rice using gooseberry if u r interested..
Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Dry roast methi seeds in a kadai till it turns brown with a nice aroma.Powder it along with asafetida and turmeric powder.Set aside.
- Grind the red chillies to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker or in an idly pot ,steam cook the whole big gooseberries without adding water.After it cools down ,cut the gooseberry into bite sized pieces .( It will come off easily when u press it with ur fingers.)
- Then in a wide mouthed kadai add a tbsp of oil and temper the items given above.Add the gooseberry pieces and the coarse red chilly powder.
- Mix well for few minutes till raw smell disappears.Add the salt and toss well.
- After sometime , add the ground methi seeds mixture and mix well .
- Make sure everything gets combined well.
- Keep in medium flame for 2-3 minutes .Finally add the sesame oil , mix well.
- Switch off the flame. Let the pickle cool down .
- Transfer it to an air tight container.
- Tastes best the next day !!