I came to know about this kesari from my school friend Swarna.It was very new to me because i've tasted kesari made with rava / semiya. When she told about this i found it interesting. I made for my friday pooja . It came out well and tasted excellent. We loved it.Its very simple to do. Try this and let me know ladies !!
- POHA / THICK AVAL - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 3/4 cup ( Add 1 tbsp less if u want mild sweet)
- Water - 3/4 cup ( U can replace water with milk too )
- Ghee - 2 -3 tbsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cashews - A few
- Orange -red food color / Kesari color - a pinch
- Heat a kadai with a tbsp of ghee and fry the cashews. Remove and set aside.
- Now add the aval/poha in the same kadai and fry till it gets roasted with a nice aroma.U can add another tbsp of ghee while roasting.
- Now soak the roasted poha in little water for 10 mins to make it soft. This enhances quick cooking. ( Add the water just to cover the poha)
- Take the measured water in a bowl by adding food color.Allow it to boil
- Now add the roasted poha and Cover cook for 10 mins stirring in between.
- Once the poha gets cooked, add sugar and mix well.
- Add a tbsp of ghee at this stage. Mix well.
- Stir constantly for few minutes ( may be 10 - 12 mins).At one stage the kesari becomes non sticky and leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the roasted cashews and cardamom powder . Mix well and transfer to a bowl .
Serve hot !!
- I wanted mine to be mushy .So i soaked poha for more time and added 1/4 cup more water while cooking .
- Here I've mentioned the actual ratio given by my friend.So adjust the sugar & water ratio accordingly .
- Add more ghee while u make for ur guests ;)