- Thick rice flakes / poha/ Aval - 1/4 cup
- Powdered jaggery - 1/4 cup ( + 2 tbsp - optional)
- Milk/coconut milk - 1/4 cup
- Cardamom seeds - 2 nos (powdered)
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Water - As reqd (around 2.5 cups)
- Roasted Cashews - a few
- Cloves /Krambu- 2 nos
- Roasted Nutmeg powder/ Jathikkai - A pinch
- Edible camphor / Pachai karpooram - a pinch
- Heat a kadai with a tbsp of ghee and roast the cashews.Set aside
- In the same kadai, roast the aval and cardamom together for 3-4 mins. Aval becomes crispy and turns little brown.
- Allow it to cool. Powder it finely along with cardamom.
- Now take the water in a bowl and add the powdered aval.Cover and cook for 5 mins. Stir in between and check the water level.Add more water if needed.It thickens after few minutes.
- Now add the powdered jaggery and mix well.Allow it to boil for 5-10 mins.
- Finally add the roasted cashews. Add the items given under "flavor" if necessary.
- Switch off the flame and add 1/4 cup of boiled milk or coconut milk..Serve hot or cold !!
- U can add coconut milk for richness. But it should be added at the end before switching off the flame.
- If u feel sweetness is more, add little boiled milk.
- When u add milk along with jaggery , payasam gives a curdled look.To avoid this, add milk only at the end.
- If u want, u can replace jaggery with sugar.
- Here i've powdered the aval. If u wish, u can roast the aval and cook as it is. It will take little more time to cook.