- Heat a kadai with a tbsp of oil and add the onion pieces.
- Saute till it turns transparent. Now add the ground masala paste.
- Saute till the raw smell disappears.Then add the cooked vegetables and the powders.Mix well for few mins.
- Add the required water and boil well till the stuffing thickens.
- Finally add the lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves.
- In an idly pot, pour a tbsp of batter and keep a tsp of filling in the center.
- Then pour another tbsp of batter to cover the filling.Steam for 15 mins.
- Insert a fork, if it comes out clean, the idly is done.
Here is a picture of stuffed idiyappam which i made the next day with the left over stuffing
- U can make the above version in chinese style by adding cabbage , little soya sauce , ajinomotto and white pepper powder.But avoid using garam masala pwd, red chilly powder and ground masala paste..Hope u all know this. Sometimes i make like this too.
- If u dont want to stuff the idly, just mix the above stuffing in the batter directly and make idlies.It tastes good in that way too..
- While making for kids , add a tsp of ghee over the stuffing in each idly .that gives an additional flavor..