When i saw this recipe in Viki’s kitchen , i immediately tried it on the same day. It was very flavourful and tasted xcellent for idly / dosa.It tastes like the idly podi we make with sesame seeds.I made some little changes according to my husband’s liking. I should say its really a healthy idly podi as it contains horsegram and flax seeds. Wat more to say , lets go on to the recipe ,
INGREDIENTS : 1 cup - 200ml
- In a kadai , roast all the ingredients except salt & garlic given above adding a tsp of oil.
- She told to roast one by one for uniform roasting but i did everything at the same time.
- Roast till the flaxseeds start to pop. Also u’ll get a nice aroma and color change of all the dals.
- Add the curry leaves at the end and toss for few minutes. Then switch off the flame. Please make sure no ingredient gets burnt. That totally changes the taste.
- Once it cools down run it in mixie twice .Now add the chopped garlic pieces and the required salt.
- Grind to make a fine powder or little coarse based on ur taste.
- Always make in small batches so that it tastes and smells fresh .
- It can be carried for travel too. It stays good.
- If u want to make the same for rice, add more chillies and little pepper corns too.Mix with ghee and plain rice..
- I’ve added equal quantity of urad and channa dal as i always want the flavor of urad dal in my idly podi. But the actual recipe dint call for urad dal . She had used only channa dal.
- My husband loves the garlic flavor in idly podi. So i added garlic cloves at the end , But its optional. U can add 2-3 pinches of hing while roasting instead of garlic..