I learnt this from my MIL. Lots of ginger were lying in my fridge for long time and i was thinking how to use it. I usually make ginger pachadi . But this time i wanted to try something new and different like a gravy kind. Then my MIl told me about this kuzhambu which tastes similar to vathakuzhambu but with ginger flavor. Ginger lovers would sure love this..It was tasting great when mixed with plain rice topped by sesame oil..With papad as side, u can have a plateful of rice..It serves as a best side dish for curd rice and dal rice too.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for few minutes and take the extract.
- Grind the ginger pieces to get the gooseberry sized ball by adding little water.
- Add the ginger paste to the tamarind extract . Add sambhar powder, salt and required water.
- In a kadai , temper all the ingredients in the same order.Then add the tamarind extract mixture.
- Allow it to roll boil for few minutes. Boil till the oil separates. Add liitle jaggery for taste.
- The gravy thickens . Add water if necessary.Switch off the flame..
- It tastes the best from next day. Its shelf life is around 10 days when kept in fridge.
- Can be taken for travel too..
- The amount of ginger paste and tamarind paste should be equal. If needed quantity of tamarind paste can be increased . All the tastes gets blended the next day .So make the changes only next day.. (ie, adding salt ,Sambhar powder or tamarind extract)