I recently started my experiments in baking and i have tried some cakes ( Yet to be posted) n cookies ..I am a big fan of rusk.I love its mild sweetness, flavour and crispness.When i was having my tea with a rusk, my husband told me about the cake rusk he had in a bakery.He told it was very nice and he loved its taste. From then my search started and it ended up here and here. I got attracted by the pictures and tried it. I referred both the recipes and made some changes as per our taste.I was searching for an eggless recipe but i dint get it. So i used eggs in my kitchen for the first time to try out this yummy stuff. YES, it was a big success. Being a beginner in baking , i felt proud and happy after seeing the result.. Thanks a lot !! Beginners like me can dare to give this a try. !! This recipe yields nearly 15-20 pieces of cake rusk. But i used half of the cake to make the rusk . So i got only 10 pieces. By the time i clicked , i had only 3 pieces left over in my hand . So the shapes may not look good but believe me it tasted gr8.
A small intro to cake rusk for those who are not aware of: Cake rusk is an asian dessert and is a kind of double baked cake which goes well with chai/ tea.It is light brown in color & crispy in texture and taste.These crispy browned cake rusks are quite popular in Pakistan.
- If u want to make a eggless version try replacing the eggs by egg substitute powder or follow the eggless sponge cake recipe . Hope it will work. As i tried for the first time i dint want to take risk. So i halved the original recipe and followed as such. Soon i’ll make an eggless version and update it.
- In the first baking , keep checking after 20 – 25 mins whether the cake is done.
- When u bake for the second time , keep an eye as it tends to brown faster and it gets burnt. Make sure the center portion should be slightly browned not much like the sides..
- First keep the rusk for 10 mins and then change the other side. Set another 10 mins.
- After 10 mins , remove the plate and touch the center portion, If it is too soft , switch off the microwave and allow the plate inside the hot oven.
- It gets roasted by the heat inside the oven . I did the same. If u feel it has to be roasted , again bake it for 5 more minutes.
- I used half portion of cake as such for my doter and we enjoyed eating it. It was very soft and spongy. Here is a picture of cake. So if u wanna make a sponge cake , u can surely try this recipe