Very simple and tasty sambhar for idli & dosa.Tastes good with chapathi too by making slight
variations..Check notes section for variations..
Here is the recipe,
- Besan – 1/4 cup
- Tamarind – Small gooseberry size
- Green chilly – 3 - 4 nos ( slit )
- Big onion – 2 nos(finely chopped)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp ( 1/8 + 1/8 tsp)
- Curry leaves –1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves /Cilantro– 1/4 cup
- Soak tamarind in water and extract pulp from it.Dissolve the besan into the tamarind extract with required water.Set aside .
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds.Once it starts spluttering add urad dal,a pinch of hing and curry leaves.Add finely chopped onions,slit green chillies and saute till onions become transparent.Add some water and cover the kadai with a lid.Onions will get cooked nicely.
- Now add the besan water with salt.Add 1/4 tsp of hing and turmeric powder.
- Bring it to boil.Gravy may become thick.So add hot water in between.It should boil till the raw smell of besan leaves.Finally, add the coriander leaves and serve hot!!
When u use asafetida/hing in ur recipe ,add a pinch while seasoning and also during boiling!!This gives the flavor for the dish!! So i mentioned twice to add hing.
Note: For chapathi,we follow the same procedure but instead of tamarind extract ,we use lemon juice or tomato pieces.Gravy should be thicker than this.We add lemon juice at the end i.e. after removing from the flame.
Delicious sambar is ready to serve hot with idli & dosa adding sesame oil!!
This entry also goes to JFI: chickpea event
hosted by Ms of Sometime foodie and an event started by Indira of Mahanandi