We do this rice dish in the weekend.U all know this is Karnataka's special dish.We make sambar and rice separately & mix them..Here is the recipe,
Check out my latest Karnataka style Bisi bele bath recipe
|Vegetables – ALL or ANY(Carrot,beans,potato,peas,raddish,brinjal,chow-chow,raw banana,drumstick,broad beans etc)||2 cups|
|Toor dal||1/3 cup|
|Tamarind||A big gooseberry size|
|Oil||1 tbsp + 2 tsp (to roast)|
|Sambar powder||1/2 tsp|
|Jaggery||A Small piece|
To Roast & Grind
|Dhania/Dry Coriander seeds||2 tsp|
|Chana dal||1 tbsp|
|Red chilly||6 – 8 nos (adjust)|
|Cinnamon||1 small stick|
|Grated Coconut||2 tbsp|
|Mustard seeds||1/4 tsp|
|Jeera/Cumin seeds||1/4 tsp|
|Sambar onions/Pearl onions||1/4 cup|
|Green chilly||1 no|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves||to garnish|
|Cashew nuts||a few|
- Wash and Pressure cook rice with required water.Keep it for 2 –3 whistles and till it is overcooked & mushy.Set aside.Cut all the vegetables for 1 inch size.
- Then pressure cook toor dhal with a drop of oil and a pinch of turmeric powder.Keep it for 2 whistles. Hand blend it. Mix well to become mushy.Soak tamarind in water and extract pulp from it.
- Heat a kadai with 1 tsp of oil and roast all the items given under “To roast & grind” table and lastly add the grated coconut , roast it well and grind in a powdered form.Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add the tempering items,sambar onions and green chilly.Saute till they are transparent.Add the tamarind extract, all the raw vegetables and a pinch of asafetida.Close the pan with a lid .It should boil till the vegetables get cooked.
- Now add the cooked toor dal and sprinkle the ground powder. Mix well to avoid lumps.
- Let it come to a boil. Finally,add the curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Delicious SAMBAR IS READY !!!
- Now take the rice in a big vessel and add the required amount of sambar to it with ghee.Mix it well.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot with Papad or Vadaam!!!
- As we prepare the sambar separately,u can use the same for dinner too!!.It tastes excellent with idly,Pongal & dosa!!So no need to prepare any side dish for dinner.U can take rest and enjoy the weekend!!
- I’ve mentioned 2 cups of vegetables for just 1/2 cup of rice because this is the easiest way to make the children to eat vegetables :).Please reduce the amount of vegetables based on ur wish..
- In karnataka, they add cloves and cinnamon while grinding the spices but i don’t add. I make it in our style .So if u need the authentic bisibelebath , roast the cinnamon and cloves along with spices , Powder them and add..
- Add more sambar while u mix with rice because the rice absorbs all the sambar by the time u eat. Keep some sambar in reserve.I always mix the rice & sambar just before eating and serve hot..
- At last, add little ghee to enhance the taste and flavour.