This is a very healthy and easy to make pachadi. Most of us have gooseberry pickle. But this one is of a different kind.My MIL always buy gooseberries in lots & cuts them into small pieces , grind it in mixie to get a wet powder(no need to add water).We spread it in a big plate (Thaambaalam) and keep it in sunlight for 2-3 days.
It will become a dry powder(we call it as “Nelli Mulli).We store this in an air-tight container and use it for months.As we all know, Gooseberry can be taken in any form,we include this at least twice a week in our lunch.This Pachadi can be made with the dried powder or fresh ones.
So here is the recipe,
- BIG Gooseberry (fresh) – 1 no ( If POWDER , use 2 tsp)
- Green chilly – 1 - 2 nos ( use 2 nos if it is small)
- Grated Coconut – 1 tbsp
- Asafetida – A pinch
- Curd – 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds & urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cut the gooseberry into small pieces and remove the seed.
- Now grind it with green chilly,coconut piece and salt with a pinch of asafetida to make it a paste by adding enough water.
- Then transfer it to a small bowl and add the curd to it.
- Mix it well and season with mustard,urad dal & curry leaves.
This pachadi serves as a very good accompaniment for dhal rice(paruppu saadham)with ghee.It can also be had with plain rice & ghee.That tastes excellent:)
So let us make this easy pachadi at our home & get all its benefits:)