This is my mother’s special.It tastes excellent with idlis.We do this for dinner.My husband likes it very much.He always wants sambar to be watery and juicy.This is one of its kind. Also we do this whenever we have stomach & mouth ulcers.This is less spicy and moong dal is good for ulcers.It is less in calories too!!
The ingredients required are:
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Tomato – 2 nos ( Finely chopped)
- Green chilly – 4 nos (Increase if u want more spicy)
- Small onions/Pearl onions – 15- 20 nos (Finely chopped)
- Sambar powder -1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/4 tsp
- Asafetida /Hing– 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves – A sprig
- Coriander leaves – To garnish
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
Kadalai maavu/Besan - 2 tsp ( dilute it with 1/4 cup of water )
- Heat a kadai with half tsp of oil and saute the slit green chillies for a min.
- Take the moong dal in a pressure cooker base & dry roast till u get nice aroma.But dal should not change in its color. So do it in medium flame.Now add water ,chopped tomatoes and green chillies..
- Pressure cook it by adding a pinch of turmeric powder and a drop of sesame oil.(Should be over mushy) Mash it well.Set aside.
- Heat a kadai with 1 tsp of oil and season with mustard , urad dal and curry leaves.Add a pinch of hing to it.Then add the finely chopped onions.Saute till they are half-cooked.Add little water, allow onions to cook.
- Now add the sambar powder & cooked dal mixture to the kadai and add 1/4 tsp of hing,salt.Boil for sometime.Lastly add the diluted besan water & boil it till raw smell vanishes. Add more water if required.Check for salt & spice taste.
- Finally garnish with plenty of coriander leaves.
- Delicious , Protein-Rich sambar is ready to serve hot wih Soft Idlis!!
I am glad in sending this entry to FIC:Yellow conducted by sunshinemom of Tongue ticklers
Technorati Tags: Tiffin sambar,Moong dal sambar,Moong dal sambar recipe,Moong dal sambar for idli,idli sambar,idli sambar recipe using moong dal,idli sambar moong dal recipe,idli sambar south indian,easy idli sambar,dal sambar for idli,dal sambar,dal sambar recipe,tiffin sambar recipe,moong dal sambar