- Par Boiled Rice /Saapaatu arisi(rice used for lunch) – 1 cup
- Toor dal – 1/8 cup
- Water – 3 cups or less ( depending on ur rice )
- Tamarind - A medium lemon size
- Red chilly – 4 to 6 nos
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Asafetida /Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Salt – to taste
- In a broad kadai, dry roast Rice and toor dal separately till it turns light golden brown and nice aroma rises.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai and add the mustard seeds.Once it starts spluttering,add urad dal,pinched red chillies ,curry leaves and 1/4 tsp of asafetida/Hing.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract juice using 3 cups of water as mentioned above.Its not necessary that u should use all the 3 cups for extracting the juice.U can use how much ever u want.Remaining water u can add as it is.
- Now wash the roasted rice and toor dal .Keep it in the cooker.
- Then add all the seasoning items into it with the required salt ,tamarind juice+remaining water(Totally it should be 6 cups as mentioned above).
- Add the turmeric powder,curry leaves and 1/4 tsp of asafetida.
- Now pressure cook everything for 1 or 2 whistles(according to ur cooker).
- Remove and add sesame oil before and during serving!!
I am very happy in linking this post to the Event HARVEST: THE FESTIVAL OF RICE hosted by Sudeshna at Here I Cook .