Here is the rasam,
- Cooked toor dal – 1/8 cup
- Tamarind – Small gooseberry size
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 - 1 tsp
- Pepper & Jeera/cumin seeds – 1 tsp each
- Tomato(Crush into small pieces) – 1 no
- Curry leaves – a few
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafetida/Hing – a pinch
- Coriander leaves/cilantro – to garnish
- Oil & Ghee – 1 tsp each
- Sugar – little to taste
- Roast pepper & jeera using 1tsp of ghee and coarse grind . keep it aside.
- Soak tamarind in water and extract pulp.
- Hand blend the cooked toor dal and dilute it.
- Heat a kadai with 1tsp of oil and season with mustard , cumin seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the crushed tomato , tamarind extract ,chilli powder & a pinch of hing.
- Bring it to boil and then add the toor dhal water.
- Boil for sometime.
- Finally add the salt ,crushed pepper,jeera & little sugar.Boil till it froth. switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with plain rice and ghee!!
2. For loss of appetite & Indigestion:
Grind 1 tsp of pepper ,1 tsp of jeera with salt.Make it a coarse powder by adding a pod of garlic at the end.Mix it with ghee and plain rice and have it for 2 days.It improves the loss of appetite.
3.For dry cough: Roast 5 –7 peppers in 1 tsp of ghee till it splutters.Now remove the roasted pepper and eat it as it is.Drink the hot ghee (throat bearable heat)too.
We do all the above treatments at our home and all are really beneficial:)