I learnt this sambar from my mom.Last week i prepared this as an accompaniment for idli.My hubby dear liked it so much. Thanks to my mom
Generally most of us do the sambar for idli using toordal alone.But this is a combination of moong and toor dal in the ratio of 2:1.
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Toor dal – 1/8 cup
- Tamarind – Small gooseberry size
- Tomato – 1 no
- Carrot – 1-2 nos (use 2 nos if small)
- Potato – 1-2 nos(-do-)
- Salt & Water – reqd
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal –1/2 tsp
- Curry leaf – 1 sprig
- Asafetida/Hing – a pinch
- Red chilly – 1 no
- Green chilly – 3-5 nos(depends on ur taste)
- Small / Pearl onions – 10 nos(Peeled)
- Coriander leaves – To garnish
- Oil – just 2 drops
- Dry coriander seeds – 1.5 tsp
- Channa dal – 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly – 3-4 nos
How to proceed:
- Cube cut the vegetables .Chop the tomato into pieces.Soak the tamarind in water.
- Heat a kadai with 1 tsp of oil and saute the small onions and green chilly.Keep aside.
- Pressure cook moong & toor dal by adding water,turmeric powder and a drop of oil.If u have a separate vessel for cooking vegetables in ur cooker, take the veggies along with tomato and sauteed onion and green chilly with little water in it.Cook for 1-2 whistles depending on ur cooker.
- If u don’t want to follow this,cook the veggies and dal separately.
- Extract the juice from soaked tamarind.Keep aside.
- Now heat a kadai with 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds.Let it pop.Then,add urad dal, pinched red chilly and curry leaves.
- Now add the tamarind juice,cooked dal and boiled veggies along with onions & green chillies.Add a pinch of hing.
- Add the required salt and water.Let it boil for sometime.
- Now add 1- 2 tsp of sambar powder(Plz refer above) and boil for 2 mins.
- Finally , garnish with coriander leaves.
NOTE:Please adjust the ingredients according to ur requirement!!
Technorati Tags: Idli sambar,Dal sambar for idli,Tiffin sambar recipe,Idli sambar recipe using moong dal,tiffin sambar with moong dal,idli sambar recipe using moong dal,south indian idli sambar,south indian sambar recipe,how to make idli sambar,how to make south indian sambar,how to make sambar,sambar for tiffin,sambar for idli,dosa