This saaru( a kind of rasam) tastes excellent with plain rice.When i was pregnant , during the first three months,i didn’t like to eat sambar/vatha kuzhambu etc(u all know our taste changes during pregnancy) .On those days, My Mom-in-law used to prepare this for me.I used to have this rasam mixed with plain rice as my food all the time ;)This is my favorite.Very easy to prepare.When u run short of time to prepare lunch,u can do this saaru/Rasam quickly.We call this as "Vendhaya rasam".It tastes different from our usual rasam recipe as i have added onions in this.
- Tamarind – Small gooseberry size (soak in warm water)
- Big onion – 1 no(finely chopped)
- Green chilly – 4 nos (slit cut)
- Tomato – 1 no (chopped)
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Methi seeds/fenugreek – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal- 1/4 tsp
- Toor dal – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Asafetida/hing – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Soak the tamarind in water and extract the juice from it.
- Heat a kadai with oil and add methi seeds first.when it starts to pop,add mustard seeds,urad dal,toor dal ,a pinch of asafetida and curry leaves one by one in the same order.
- Now add the chopped onions and saute till they are transparent.
- Now add the tomato,saute and cook for 1 min.Add the tamarind extract with required salt and water.
- Add the remaining hing and boil it for 2-3 mins.
- After removing from fire,add 1/4 cup of water to it.
- Finally,garnish with coriander leaves..