- Vegetables(carrot,beans,potato,peas)- 2 cups
- Rice – 1 cup ( i didn’t use basmati rice,i used boiled rice.Please vary the ratio of water accordingly!! I think 1.5 cups is sufficient.)
- Water – 2 cups
- Oil /Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1” stick
- Cloves – 3 nos
- Cardamom – 1 no
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Star anise/Marati moggu – 2 nos
- Big Onions – 1 no(sliced)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilly – 2 –3 nos(slit)
- Mint leaves – 10- 15 leaves
- Coriander leaves – a few
- Tomato – 2 no (chopped)
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Red chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As needed
- Curd – 1 tsp
- Red color – a pinch ( optional)
- Cashew nuts – 10 nos
- Roasted Bread/Bun – Few pieces
- Wash and soak the rice for 10 – 15 mins.
- Cube cut all the vegetables and keep it aside. Grind the cashews to make a smooth paste.set aside.
- Heat a wok/pan with oil and add all the spices one by one given under “ to saute” in the same order.
- Once the spices start to splutter,add the onion juliennes' and fry till transparent.Now add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell leaves. Add half of the mint & coriander leaves. Fry..
- Add the slit green chillies ,fry and add chopped finely tomatoes.Cover Cook till tomatoes become mushy.
- Now add the vegetables and mix till masalas are well coated on it.
- Add the chilli powder,cashew paste and salt ,mix well.
- Now add the remaining mint & coriander leaves and curd.Fry for a min.
- Drain the water from the soaked rice and add to the mixture.
- Mix it well and add 2 cups of water.Add a tsp of ghee to it.
- Transfer the contents into pressure cooker and cook till it is 3/4th done..(I kept it for 4 mins after putting weight valve.My cooker generally takes 8 mins to cook the rice completely.)So depending on ur cooker,please vary the time..
- Now open the cooker and mix it once.
- Heat a dosa tawa and keep the cooker on it with weight valve.
- Once the tawa becomes hot ,simmer the flame and let the cooker stand on it for 8-10 mins..
- The rice will be cooked full using the vapor inside. It wont get burnt.Once the pressure is released ,open the cooker and toss it once. Add the roasted bread pieces and mix it well.
Yummy Veg Dum Biriyani is ready to serve with onion raita.
|I’ve already mentioned the benefits of spices here and |
vegetables here,please refer it.
Star anise has been used in a tea as a remedy for rheumatism, and the seeds are sometimes chewed after meals to aid digestion.
Japanese star anise (Illicium anisatum), a similar tree, is not edible because it is highly toxic (due to containing sikimitoxin); instead, it has been burned as incense in Japan. Cases of illness, including "serious neurological effects, such as seizures", reported after using star anise tea may be a result of using this species. Japanese star anise contains anisatin, which causes severe inflammation of the kidneys, urinary tract and digestive organs.