My mom calls this sambhar as khichidi . So I've mentioned the same name.. This is favorite sambhar..My mom makes especially for me when i visit her place.
I basically love brinjals and my husband is just the reverse.Last week i got some fresh brinjals from my uncle’s garden.I made this khichidi for me and tomato sambhar for my husband..
It came out exactly like my mom’s preparation..I felt like eating from my mom’s hand:)
Here comes the recipe,
- Brinjal - 4 nos ( medium size) (Finely chopped )
- Green chilly –1- 2 nos ( slit cut )
- Tamarind – 2 – 3 seeds ( soak in water )
- Small onions – 10 nos ( finely chopped )
- Hing / Asafetida – 2 pinches
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Channa dal – 1/4 tsp
- Oil - tbsp
- Coriander leaves – little ( must add )
- Heat a kadai with very little oil and saute the green chillies.
- Add the sautéed chillies to the finely chopped brinjals with required water and pressure cook it for 1-2 whistles till brinjal turns mushy.
- Once it is done, mash it further with a ladle.It looks like a paste with brinjal pieces here and there.
- Now extract the juice from tamarind and add it to the above brinjal mixture.
- Season with all the items given under “ to season “ section. Add small onions and saute well.Add the brinjal mixture to it and let it boil for 5 mins by adding hing , salt & required water.Onions get cooked nicely.Now remove from the flame by garnishing with coriander leaves.
Delectable brinjal khichidi is ready to eat with idly with sesame oil on top!! It tastes out of the world !!
Note : Please don’t forget to add the Hing 2 times and coriander leaves for garnishing.They are most important for this side dish.
This khichidi is on its way to WYF – Side dish event by our dear blogger EC.