I learnt this method from my MIL.My mom’s method is completely different from this.Check that post that too.Most of us add veggies like okra, pumpkin, cucumber etc in mor kuzhambu.But we always make masal vada and dump into it.Kuzhambu gets absorbed into vada and it tastes excellent..My husband likes this combination very much.Once I added oats and made the vada..There was no difference in taste, flavor , crispness etc.It was equally good to the usual masal vada & at the same time healthy too:)Then i started making oats vada every time i prepare mor kuzhambu.U can enjoy this vada as a snack too ..
So here is the recipe for mor kuzhambu and vada,
1 cup - 200ml
- Sour curd – 1 cup
- Salt & water – as needed.
- Grated Coconut – 3 tbsp
- Green chilly – 3-4 nos(increase based on the sourness of curd)
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 5 nos
- Ginger – 1 inch size
- Small onion / Sambar onion– 3 nos
- Cumin seeds / Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – a few
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly –1 no
- Quick Oats – 1/4 cup ( i used Quaker brand )
- Chana dal – 1/4 cup
- Toor dal – 1/8 cup
- Red chilly – 4-5 nos (adjust as per ur taste)
- Asafetida/Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Salt & water – as needed
- Oil – to deep fry
- Beat the sour curd with little water and add salt to it(Don’t worry even if it becomes watery, vada will absorb everything).Set aside.
- Grind the first 3 items given under “to grind” with water.
- Then add the last three ingredients and run once or twice.Make it a paste.
- Now add the ground mixture to the beaten curd and check for salt.
- Keep the bowl on the stove and simmer it.Let it boil for 3-4 mins in low flame.Mix it once in the middle.By this time, the mor kuzhambu becomes frothy , it should not roll boil.
- Remove from the flame and don’t close it with the lid.Let it be open for sometime (otherwise it’ll become watery)
- Now heat a kadai with oil and do the seasoning part.Add it to the mor kuzhambu.
How to make vada:
- Soak the dals together for 2 hrs and grind it with red chillies, hing , oats and salt.
- Add less water to grind may be 2 tbsp.Batter should be thick and coarse.
- Now heat oil in a kadai and make vada of ur desired shape.
- Deep Fry on both sides.
Then take the vadas out and keep it in a separate plate because it will absorb the kuzhambu/gravy.
Yummy mor kuzhambu with oats vada is ready to serve with plain rice :)