SIMPLE KEERAI KADAIYAL
This is my entry to sowmya’s SWC: Cooking with Greens event. This is a perfect dish that suits the event i think. I make this atleast 3-4 times in a week.Me, basically a health-conscious person always think to avoid fatty,oily items and to include something that is rich in protein and iron in our regular diet.We all know greens are very rich in iron .So I am sure in including this in our lunch.My kid, who is a fussy eater likes this very much.We too like this more than other dishes with keerai like kootu,poriyal and sambar.I make this simple keerai kadaiyal/ masiyal which is very easy to do at the same time the amount of spinach consumption will be more. This dish is a nice way to make your kids eat greens. It tastes great when mixed with plain rice adding ghee.So, here comes the ingredients,
- Arai keerai /Mulai keerai – 1 big bunch
- Garlic flakes – 5 –7 nos
- Salt & water – as needed.
- Remove the leaves and wash it for 2-3 times until all the soil gets removed.
- Boil 1/2 cup of water in a vessel and add the keerai /spinach to it.
- Cook it well and don’t cover the vessel with the lid.(hope u all know this:))After sometime flip it once and cook it.
- Once its done , switch off the flame and let it cool.Don’t drain the excess water.U can use it for grinding.(Always add less water to cook spinach.)
- First,run the garlic flakes with the salt once or twice without water.
- Now add the cooked spinach and grind it to make a smooth paste.
Another version in this is, just cook the spinach and grind it with salt.Soak tamarind in water and extract the juice..Add the tamarind juice to the ground spinach and allow it to boil.Do the seasoning with mustard,urad dal and hing..This we call as pulikeerai..I think most of u do this at home!!
I tried Palak chapathi and Aloo paratha last week for dinner.It was soft and tasty..I got the recipe from my neighbour..I’ll post Aloo paratha soon…Now comes the Palak chapathi,
1 cup - 250ml
- Palak / Pasalai keerai – 2 bunches ( small)
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp(adjust )
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp (adjust as per ur need)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped)
- Salt & water- as needed.
- Curd – 2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Chop and wash the palak leaves for 2-3 times and set aside.
- Heat a kadai with 1 tsp oil and add the palak to it.Saute till its half cooked and get reduced in quantity.
- Then grind the palak with little water to a smooth paste.
- Now take the wheat flour in a bowl and add the ground palak, red chilly powder,ginger pieces,garam masala ,curd and salt.Add water only if it is needed because the water in the ground palak is itself sufficient.If u feel its too watery, add some wheat flour and make a dough.Add some oil and knead it well.
- Then cover and keep it for 30 mins.The dough is of green in color.
- Now make even sized balls and roll it to a thin chappathi.
- Heat a dosa tawa and make chappathis as usual.
Technorati Tags: keerai masiyal . keerai kadayal,keerai recipes,keerai recipes for kids.easy keerai masiyal,keerai masiyal with garlic,garlicky keerai kadayal