This is not the usual sundal we make with legumes..This is rice upma which my MIL call it as sundal.It can be made in a jiffy and its healthy too..Less oil is used.I usually make this for dinner.
- Raw rice – 3/4 cup
- Moong dal – 1/4 cup.(Equal ratio of rice & dal is also good)
- Water – 2.25 cups
- Salt – as needed.
- Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilly – 1-2 nos
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Asafetida / hing – 1/4 tsp (half during tempering and half should be added raw in the water)
- Ginger – 1 inch (finely chopped )
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Dry roast the rice till it puffs up slightly.
- Dry roast the moong dal till it turns light golden brown with a nice aroma.Set aside.
- Both the above process takes hardly 5 mins.
- Then in the same hot kadai , add 1 tsp of oil and do the tempering part.
- As i had mentioned earlier, half the quantity of asafetida should be added while tempering along with the dals.
- After tempering , just add the water,salt , roasted rice & moong dal.
- Now add the remaining hing and ginger pieces.
- Add a tsp of oil and close the cooker with the lid. (adding oil in the water makes the rice separate, u all know this)
- Cook for 1 whistle .Cool, open and add the grated coconut before serving!!
Serve with sambhar/ coconut chutney!!!
TRIED & TASTED:
ALOO– PEAS KURMA:
Yesterday i tried this kurma for chappathi from Ashwini’s cuisine.It was yummy and my hubby liked it very much.I was very happy..Thank u soooo much ashwini
Have a nice day!!