I learnt this from my MIL.Very easy and she make this as an accompaniment for idly when we have a guest. Nowadays i make it for our dinner regularly as an entremets for idly/dosa.
- Tomato – 2 nos (Finely chopped)
- Big onion – 1 no (Finely chopped)
- Moong dal – 1 tbsp
- Green chilly – 2-3 nos (Slit cut)
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Idly/Dosa batter – 1 tsp
- Salt & water – as needed.
- Mustard – 1 /2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Jeera/Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook /cook (in a vessel) moong dal till it blossoms.Don’t overcook the dal to become mushy.Set aside.
- Heat a wok/kadai and add the tempering items one by one.. Put the finely chopped onion ,slit green chilly,curry leaves and saute for a few mins.
- Now add the tomato and saute well..Its not necessary it should turn mushy..(While eating this gosthu,u’ll have pieces of tomato )
- Add the cooked moong dal,salt and required water..It should be watery.
- Last but not the least , add the idly/dosa batter and mix it well..As it is watery onion,tomato,dal,chilly will be separate.So adding this batter gives a thickness & togetherness to this gosthu. If u want,u can replace idly batter with besan.That gives a different taste..
Actually in tanjore, the same gosthu they make with finely chopped brinjals. Instead of tomato, they add tamarind pulp.But we make this gosthu mostly with tomato and very rarely with brinjal becoz my hubby doesn’t like brinjal..So if u like brinjal, u can follow the same method to make brinjal gosthu.It tastes excellent..
TRIED & TASTED:
IDLY SAMBHAR - RESTAURANT TYPE
I tried this restaurant type moong dal sambhar from viki’s kitchen.It was great..My mom makes this sambhar but she used to grind fenugreek,coriander seeds, channa dal to a powder and add to it.This sambhar gave the exact taste as my mom makes without adding this powder.Very easy and tasty too..Thanks a ton viki…Last week my brother came home and i made this sambhar for idly..It was a hit..All the credit goes to dear Viki
It is normally used in approximately every part of India. It is used with fruits, in making soups and with vegetables.
Sprinkling powdered dry ginger and mineral salt on the pieces of tomato and eating it, increases appetite and indisposition.
After cutting a raw tomato into pieces and then roasting it in a coated vessel for some time. Sprinkling it with powdered black pepper and powdered mineral salt mined with"Eating Soda" in it, cures indigestion and abdominal pain.
Roasting the pieces of raw tomato in a coated vessel, and then sprinkling yellow- orpiment powder on it and taking it (500 mg )once in a day cures cough and fever.
Mixing sugar and powdered cloves in tomato juice and drinking it cures "Avarice"
Drinking either tomato juice or tomato soup mixed with sugar cures diseases relating to excessive bileous humor in the body.
Mixing sugar (1/4th of the quantity of tomato juice) in tomato juice and again mixing it with powdered cardamom and powdered black pepper (both small quantities) cures the stomach disease and stops vomiting.
Mixing the bark of Arjun tree (terminalia-alatagbra) and sugar in tomato juice and then having this semi-liquid combination cures heartaches and is very beneficial for heart patients.
Drinking 50 grams juice of ripe tomato thrice daily, cures diseases related to blood impurities and bile within a few days and stops bleeding of the gum.
Drinking juice of ripe tomato twice daily and using minimum salt in the diet cures many diseases related to impurities of blood like reddish spots on the skin, dryness of the skin, irritations, itches, and boils, on the skin and pimples.
Drinking tomato juice daily in the morning and in the evening cures night blindness and improves the vision and power of the eyes.
Having tomato juice or tomato soup daily clears out the dry stools accumulated in the intestines and cures chronic constipation.
Despite of such great curative properties of the tomato, its usage is not favorable for people suffering from stones,swelling, rheumatism, acidity due to wind humor and bill humor. Woman having problem in their uterus too should avoid using tomato.