I still remember the days i ran behind the Bombay kulfi walahs to buy mouth watering , 1 rupee , cone shaped kulfis..I really crave for those kulfis now …Last month we had been to my native and there i tasted Matka kulfi , my hubby’s favourite..After tasting it, i got an idea to try my own.So I washed those matkas and took home ..I tried and Yes,I got the same taste..My husband was very happy when i prepared this for him..Generally, Kulfis are prepared using a combination of condensed, evaporated and whole Milk..But i prepared in a very simple way..Here is the recipe,
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 2 –3 tbsp (adjust )
- Cardamom powder – 3 - 4 pods (powdered )
- Saffron threads - few
- Almonds and pistachios – Few (finely chopped )
- Take the milk in a Microwave safe wide bowl .The bowl should accommodate at least two litres of milk to avoid spill over.Please see to it..
- Microwave high for 10 minutes..Remove the bowl and stir well.If u want u can remove and collect the skin( paal aadai), blend it at the end to a paste and add to the milk ..But I mixed the skin as it is along with the milk..
- Microwave again till the milk is reduced to half in volume.. (My MW took nearly 25- 30 mins to complete the process....Adjust the timings according to urs..)
- Then add sugar, saffron threads and cardamom powder, mix it and MW high for 5 mins..Let the sugar dissolve well and boil…
- Finally add the chopped almonds and pistachios and mix well.
- Pour into the moulds and freeze it for a minimum of 6 hours..
- The above process can be done using stove top method . Take the milk in a wide mouthed kadai and boil the milk till it is reduced to half in volume..
- Give a constant stir and simmer the flame to avoid the spill over..
- Then add sugar, cardamom powder and saffron threads..
- Mix well and boil till sugar dissolves completely..
- Finally garnish with chopped almonds and pistachios.