My Belated Vinayakar chathurthi wishes to all ..Hope u all celebrated well by offering kozhukattai & sundal ..Now coming to the post,
I always make oats dosa for my husband.Last week ,for a change i tried oats kozhukattai ..I got the recipe from a cookbook.I made some changes to the actual recipe and tried for breakfast..It was good.A good replacement for oats dosa and porridge .I am glad in sending this to EC’s WYF – Break fast event .
For 10 – 12 nos :
- Quick Oats – 1/2 cup
- Red chilly – 2 nos (pinch into two )
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Coconut pieces – a few (cut into very small pieces )
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Hing – 2 –3 pinches
- Salt & water – as needed
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat a kadai and dry roast the oats till nice aroma arises.. It may take 3-5 mins..
- Coarse grind (Run the mixie once r twice )the roasted oats and transfer into a bowl..
- In the kadai , add 1 tsp of oil and season with mustard seeds , urad dal , red chilly , curry leaves and a pinch of hing.
- Add the coconut pieces to it and fry for a minute.
- Mix the seasoned items with the ground oats along with the remaining hing.
- Add salt & water to knead like a chapatti dough.
- Then make small balls or ur desired shape to make kozhukattai and steam in idly pot for 8- 10 mins.
Hot & spicy oats kozhukattai is ready to serve !! Tastes the best when hot.
No side dish is required!!If needed , u can serve with coconut chutney !!
- Instead of coarse grinding the oats , u can grind it to make a powder and prepare the same .
- If u want, u can add equal amount of rice flour to the ground oats and make kozhukattai.
Studies show that eating a daily serving of oats not only lowers total cholesterol levels, but also reduces the risk of developing heart disease. In addition to being rich in heart healthy soluble fiber, oats offer a variety of other nutrients that boost health.
Nutrients in Oats
Oats are considered a “super food” because of the vast array of essential nutrients that are not only needed by the body but also boost overall health. Oats are a cereal grain that provides complex carbohydrates, B vitamins, fiber, and minerals such as phosphorous, iron, selenium, and calcium.
Benefits of Eating Oats
The most nutritious oats are those that have been minimally processed with no sugar added. Although well-known as an inexpensive breakfast food, oats can also be incorporated into many recipes from baked goods to main dishes.
TRIED & TASTED:
I tried this rasam from lata raja’s flavors & tastes..Thanks mam , it tasted really nice..We loved the flavor & aroma..I Will make it often.
The award is given to blogs which :
May give Fabulous information
A great read
Has Scrumptious recipes
Any other reasons you can think of that make them Scrumptious!
The rules are:
Put the logo on your blog or post.
Nominate at least 7 blogs
Let them know that they have received this Scrumptious award by commenting on their blog. Share the love and link to this post and to the person you received your award from.
I would like to nominate this award to my following blogger friends:
- http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/ – Ashalatha
- http://lata-raja.blogspot.com/ – Lataraja
- http://cookingwithlena.blogspot.com/ – Lena reshmin raj
- http://kaipakkuvam.wordpress.com/ – Indra subramaniam
- http://mykitchenaroma.blogspot.com/ – Varunavi
- http://www.sailajakitchen.com/ – Sailaja Damodaran
- http://my-vegetarian-recipes.blogspot.com/ – Priya Narasimhan
- http://valar-myblog.blogspot.com/ – Valarmathi
Please accept the award friends :