I tried usili with vazhaipoo for the first time..It came out very well..I got the recipe from my MIL…I am posting this for my future reference and to share with u all !!
For usili :
- Toor dal – A fistful
- Channa dal – A fistful
- Red chilly – 2-3 nos
- Hing /Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
- Banana flower – 1/2 no
- Salt & water – As needed
To temper :
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Shallots – a few (finely chopped )
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Soak the dals for 1 hour and grind it course with red chilly ,hing and salt.Add water only if necessary.Set aside..
- Take the flowers in between the red layers . Apply oil on ur hands , remove the stamen (kalan in tamil ) from the flowers and chop it finely .Soak in buttermilk/ water. (The black colored one is stamen..Hope u all know it )
- Mix the ground dal mixture and the chopped flowers . Check for salt .Steam it in idly pot or cooker.( I did in idly pot , it took nearly 15 mins)
- Remove and let it cool.Crumble the mixture and set aside.
- Then heat a kadai with oil and do the tempering part.Add onions and saute well.
- Finally add the cooked usili to it and mix well. check for salt and add if necessary.
- If u want u can add grated coconut .( i dont add )
- Serve with sambhar / curd rice..We usually mix this in plain rice adding sesame oil..!!
KITCHEN CLINIC :
|BANANA FLOWER : |
Nutritive benefits of Banana flower:
Good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin A,B vitamins,potassium,magnesium,phosphorus Calcium and iron.
Used in treatment of bronchitis ,constipation and ulcers,good for diabetics.Reduces painful and excess menstrual bleeding.Also believed to enhance milk supply in lactating mothers.The young tender leaves of banana tree form a cool dressing for inflammations and blisters and has a great medicinal relief. The benefits of Cooked banana flower eaten with curd is considered an effective medicine for menstrual disorders like painful menstruation and excessive bleeding. Banana flower benefits in the increase of progesterone hormone which reduces the bleeding.
TRIED & TASTED :
Every Friday i do pooja at home ..I usually make aval payasam with jaggery.For a change i tried this payasam with milk & sugar.It was very nice and creamy.Planned to do for my guests too.Very easy !! U all can give this a try :) Thanks a lot Vidya I dint add food color.So mine looks white in color :)
Catch u all in my next post.. Bye