We prepare this puttu mainly on ‘shivarathiri day’…So we call this as Shivarathiri puttu ...This is made out of rice flour and jaggery.My mil makes home made rice flour by soaking raw rice etc. For the actual procedure , see here with pictures. U can try with good quality store bought rice flour too..
- Raw rice / Maavu arisi - 1 cup
- Jaggery – 3/4 – 1 cup (depends )
- Channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 handful (soak in water )
- Cardamom – 3-4 seeds (powdered)
- Salt – very little..
- Ghee – 1 tsp (optional )
- Soak the raw rice/Maavu arisi in water for 2 hrs .
- Drain the water and spread the rice on a news paper / cloth for 10 mins so that the excess water gets absorbed..
- Grind the rice in a mixie or processer to make powder..(rice should be little moist )
- Sieve and again grind it to make a fine powder.
- **If u use store bought rice flour , u can start from the next step..But u should add little water mixed with salt to make the flour a bit wet.
- Grease the idly plate with oil and keep the finely ground rice flour on the idly plate.
- Steam it for 10 to 15 mins..
- In the mean time take the soaked channa dal and pressure cook till it blossoms.
- Do not over cook the channa dal.Usually what we do is , we keep the channa dal in a bowl with water inside the idly pot and allow it to cook along with the rice flour..By the time the rice flour gets ready , the channa dal will also get cooked and blossomed..
- Mix the channa dal & rice flour .
- Take the jaggery in a wide mouthed bowl and add little water just to cover it.
- Melt the jaggery and strain the impurities if any..
- Allow the jaggery to boil till it becomes frothy..
- Now mix the jaggery syrup to rice flour mixture ..
- Add the cardamom powder .. Mix well and Njoy by adding a tsp of ghee !!
KITCHEN CLINIC :
|JAGGERY : |
Hey folks, do you know that a single chunk of jaggery is rich in number of nutrients.
It is popularly known as gur to all of us. Believe me, it is a wonderful tablet that can cure you from niggling health problems like cough, asthma, indigestion, fatigue, migraine
Take care , catch u all in my next post