- Green chilly (Long ones ) – 4 nos
- Tamarind – Small gooseberry size (soak in very little warm water)
- Salt – As needed.
- Powdered Jaggery – Small berry size / Sundakkai size
- Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
- Gingely oil / Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Heat a kadai with 1 tbsp of cooking oil and saute the green chillies.
- Remove and allow it to cool.
- Grind all the ingredients given above with green chillies to make a smooth paste.Add little water if necessary.
- Heat a kadai with a tbsp of sesame oil and splutter mustard seeds.Pour this chutney into the kadai , saute for sometime till it turns thick and switch off the flame.
If u want to keep this chutney for months , u should saute well till it becomes a whole mass ( no trace of water). Transfer it to an air tight container.My MIL’s mother prepare this chutney in large quantity whenever chilly price comes down and becomes cheap..But yesterday we made it very less .So i dint saute the chutney,.I just tempered , added the chutney and switched off the flame immediately.The secret of this chutney lies in the amount of tamarind we use.If u add more tamarind the chutney will be less spicy but more tangy and vice versa.So tamarind and green chillies used should match each other.Please adjust according to the measurements given above..
Do try and Enjoy this chutney with Idli , Dosa and curd rice !!. Don’t forget to let me know