PHIRNI, a famous North Indian dessert is usually made with rice soaked & grind to a smooth paste.For a change i tried with rice flour suggested by MB in her cookbook. Its very easy to make and tasted great .Its a very good replacement for Payasam .Usually Phirni looks thick. I made it little thin as per our taste.Please make it as u need.I have updated this recipe as per the suggestions given by an anonymous reader...If u want to make badam phirni, soak few badams in water , blanch & chop them finely. Add the chopped badam at the end after switching off the flame.I used badam just to garnish.
KITCHEN CLINIC :
- Milk – 1/2 litre ( around 2 cups )
- Rice flour – 3/4 tbsp
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cashewnuts , pista & badam – Few (finely chopped)
- Rose water or kewara - 1/2 tsp (for additional flavor , i dint use)
- Mix rice flour in 1/2 cup of milk and without forming any lumps.
- Heat rest of the milk in a heavy vessel.
- When it starts to boil ,add the rice flour paste and cook stirring constantly.
- It takes nearly 15-20 minutes to thicken . Keep the flame medium low - high to avoid spilling.Stir now & then..
- When the milk becomes thick add sugar & switch off the flame..
- Stir well till the sugar dissolves completely. Check for sweetness .
- Mix cardamom powder , rose water & chill in refrigerator (* Do not freeze )
- I made it slightly thin..Add milk if u want more diluted.Adjust sugar accordingly.
- Thickening time of milk may vary according to the heat.
- U can add saffron soaked in warm milk instead of cardamom powder & name it as “ kesar phirni “
- We can use fine chiroti rawa for thickening of milk instead of rice flour.
KITCHEN CLINIC :
Many animals do provide us with this vital health substance, but cow’s milk is considered the best wholesome supplement for children as well as adults. Milk of other animals buffalo, goat, sheep, camel, reindeer and yak. Milk of horse and donkey is also consumed by humans, though this is rare.
The health benefits of milk can be achieved from milk directly or its products such as cheese, butter, curd, clarified butter or ghee, dairy whitener, ice cream, cottage cheese or paneer, flavored milk, milk sweets etc. The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has clearly mentioned in its Dietary Guidelines to include milk and milk products in the diet.
Deficiency Symptoms: Milk deficiency can cause severe anemia, osteoporosis and other related illnesses. Milk consumption is very essential to maintain good health and doing normal activities. It is the best source of calcium for all age groups.
Benefits: Milk is extremely beneficial drink for mankind. Some of the advantages of drinking this life-giving nectar are as follows: