I learnt this from my MIL. Its a very tasty one pot meal.I make it for dinner. I use noi arisi ( broken rice ) to prepare this upma. Its available in all grocery stores. If u dont get this rice, u can just break the raw rice by running in the mixie once or twice. No side dish is needed. It can be made in jiffy.
- Broken rice / Noi – 1 cup
- Tamarind - A big gooseberry size ( soak & extract )
- Red chillies – 4 nos ( adjust)
- Hing / Asafetida – 3 - 4 pinches
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Channa dal-1.5 tsp
- Curry leaves – A few
- Turmeric powder – A pinch
- Salt – As needed.
- Water – 2.5 cups
- In a cooker base, add oil and temper the mustard seeds followed by urad & channa dal , red chilly & hing.
- In a bowl , soak the tamarind in warm water for 20 mins and take the extract using 2.5 sups of water mentioned above. ( if u take the extract with 1 cup of water, add the remaining 1.5 cups of water as it is.)
- Then add the tamarind extract to the cooker base and the turmeric powder & required salt.
- Add a dash of hing again. Add fresh curry leaves too. ( these two items adding at the end gives a spl flavor for this upma )
- Now add the washed & drained rice into the cooker.
- Mix it well & close the lid.Keep it for 10-15 mins or 3 – 4 whistles.
- Once the steam is released , serve it hot. U can make the same in rice cooker too.
Enjoy eating hot topped with sesame oil.
KITCHEN CLINIC :
|BROKEN RICE / NOI ARISI : |
Broken rice is probably the cheapest rice available. Broken rice is simply rice grains that are too small to make the minimum grain length standard. So, it is packaged separately and given an attractive, low price. It doesn't affect the taste at all.
The broken rice is widely used in the food preparations and in the industries for making flour and in the manufacture of baby foods. The starch extracted from broken rice finds wider application in the pharmaceutical, textile and other industries.