We make this side dish only for sambhar rice. Sambhar Saadham , Carrot puttu & appalam (papad) is a divine combination..I learnt this from my mom.Its very easy to prepare.Try this for kids .. I am sure they’ll love it.Its always better to eat the carrots raw to get the complete nutrition.If not possible, its good to steam to retain the nutrition.Here i ‘ve steamed the carrot. So i feel this side dish is good for growing children who doesn’t eat raw carrot .
- Carrot – 3 nos ( Grated)
- Big onion – 1 no (Finely chopped)
- Green chilly – 1 no ( slit into 2 )
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp (optional)
- Salt – As needed.
To Temper :
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – Few
- Grate the carrot. Spread the grated carrot in the idly plate and steam it for 10 –15 mins in idly pot.( This method retains the nutrition in carrot )
- Finely chop the onions and slit cut the green chillies.
- Now in a kadai , add oil and temper the items given above .
- Add the onions & chillies . Saute till onion turns transparent.
- Now add the steamed carrot , salt and toss well.
- Keep in low flame for sometime by tossing in between.
- Now add the grated coconut , stir for sometime and switch off the flame.
Yummy carrot puttu is ready to go with sambhar rice !!
KITCHEN CLINIC : To know more about health care , visit here
|CARROT : |
Carrot is a vegetable grown for its edible root. Raw carrots are eaten in salads and are mixed with some viands.
Carrot contain carotene, a chemical that is converted into vitamin A by the body, it helps prevent night blindness.
Health Benefits of Carrot:
Carrot is also helpful in the following cases : Obesity, Poisoning of the blood, Gum disease, Insomnia, Inflamed Kidneys, Liver, Gallbladder, Alzheimer's disease, Colitis, Ulcer Painful urination
Vitamin and Mineral Content :