This is my mom’s special recipe.I love this a lot. It goes well with More kuzhambu & Rasam.
- Small brinjal – 7 nos
- Salt & water – As needed.
- Oil – a drop
- Coriander seeds – 2tsp
- Chana dal – 1.5 tbsp
- Red chilly – 4-5 nos
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Cut the brinjal lengthwise and soak in water to avoid change of color.
- Cook till its 3/4th done.Drain if there is any excess water .
- In a kadai , add a drop of oil and roast the coriander seeds,channa dal & red chilly. Set aside.
- In the same kadai add the grated coconut and roast for few seconds.
- Grind all the roasted items to a coarse powder. ( not too fine or too coarse )
- Now in a kadai add oil , temper the mustards & urad dal . Add the cooked brinjal pieces . Saute till the water content gets absorbed.
- Then add the roasted powder , salt and mix well for few minutes. Make sure the brinjal pieces dont break.
- Poriyal is ready to serve hot !!
NOTEAs we cook the brinjal , its shrinks in size but the color is retained. My mom makes this curry in other way too.She slit cut the brinjal into 4 pieces , stuff this podi , use lot of oil and saute it till brinjal gets cooked in oil.Since this method consumes more oil and also the color of the brinjal turns black , we avoid making this way. For kids , u can try this method..