- Okra / lady's finger / vendakkai - 5 nos (Chop into round thin slices)
- Tamarind - small gooseberry size
- **Sambar powder - 1.5 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Turmeric powder - 2 pinches
- Jaggery - a small piece
- Cooking oil - 2 tbsp
- Methi seeds / Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera- 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
- Toor dal - 1/2 tsp
- Small onions - 2 nos (finely chopped)
- Garlic cloves - 4 nos (-do-)
- Curry leaves - few (-do-)
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 20 mins and take the extract. Add salt , sambhar powder and turmeric powder.set aside.
- Now in a kadai , heat oil and add the tempering items in the same order.Saute for a while.Now add the chopped lady's finger pieces and saute well.
- Now add the tamarind extract and allow it to boil till okra gets cooked. Add a small piece of jaggery.
- Switch off the flame.Transfer to a bowl and add a tsp of gingely oil .Cover it and serve after 30 mins.This gives a special flavor for the gravy.
** For sambar powder recipe, please refer the side bar. U can use ur home made or store bought powder too.There will be no change in taste i guess..
|Lady's finger /Okra : |
Okra, also known as Ladies Fingers, Gombo, Bendi or Gumbo, appears to have originated from the West Africa and is well known for its great health benefits.
Benefits of Okra
According to research done by Ms. Sylvia Zook (Ph.D, nutrition, University of Illinois), Okra is full of valuable nutrients, nearly half of which is soluble fiber in the form of gums and pectins. Soluble fiber helps to lower serum cholesterol, reducing the risk of heart disease.
The other half is insoluble fiber which helps to keep the intestinal tract healthy, thus decreasing the risk of some forms of cancer, especially colon cancer. Colon Cancer is the third most common form of cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related death in the Western world.
The superior fiber found in okra helps to prevent diabetes and constipation. Okra is a rich source of many nutrients, including vitamins A, B6, C, iron and calcium.
Ladies finger is a very useful vegetable and inexpensive medicine, as it is available practically round the year in India. Due to its sweet taste, cold potency, vata-pitta pacifier nature, strength promoting aphrodisiac qualities, it is a very useful to ladies close to menopause. It is found beneficial in leucorrhoea and dysuria also.
Okra is also reported to be beneficial to those suffering from diabetes as it helps to stabilize the blood sugar. Some people have even claimed to have cured their diabetes or their condition greatly improved with the daily consumption of water that has been soaked with okra.
**Take two pieces of Lady Finger (Bhindi) and remove/cut both ends of each piece. Also put a small cut in the middle and put these two pieces in glass of water. Cover the glass and keep it at room temperature during night. Early morning, before breakfast simply remove two pieces of lady finger (bhindi) from the glass and drink that water.
Keep doing it on daily basis.
Within two weeks, you will see remarkable results in reduction of your SUGAR.
Health Benefits of Lady's Finger :
Okra Nutrition (half-cup cooked Lady Finger) contains: