I hope u all would have tasted this at the time of puberty.People usually make this with black urad dal with skin and palm jaggery(Karupatti in tamil) as it is supposed to be more healthy.In Tamil nadu, our grand mothers used to give this for the teen aged girls to make the bones strong especially Hip bones.When my paati gave this for me, i hesitated & cried a lot to eat this .But now i know its importance. Nowadays at this early age, we get pains in joints and back very often.We are not able to bend continuously for sometime.We get pain in spine.This shows the weakness of our bones.Urad dal helps to strengthen the bones.Apart from this urad dal has lots of other health benefits too.So its better to have urad dal in our regular diet to avoid all these problems.Apart from eating idli/dosa and vada, I feel this is also a good choice of including urad dal in our daily diet..So lets see how to make this ulundu kali/Urad dal kali at home.
- In a kadai ,roast the urad dal till golden yellow. Powder it in a mixie adding cardamom seeds. Store it in an air tight container.
- Now take 4 tbsp of urad dal powder in a bowl and mix 2 cups of water.
- Cook the urad dal for 7-8 mins. It thickens . Stir well for sometime and make sure there are no lumps formed.
- Now add the powdered jaggery and mix well . Keep the fire in low flame. Allow it to boil till the raw smell of jaggery emanates.
- Add the gingely oil and stir well.U’ll get a glossy , sliding non sticky kali is ready to njoy ..
- If u use palm jaggery instead of jaggery , dissolve in water and make a syrup. Strain and use.