I love chops made with vazhakkai and senaikizhangu ( Elephant yam ).Recently I bought small sized black colored pidi karunai kizhangu from my native.I heard its a good remedy for piles. We usually make vatral kulambu by adding this kizhangu. This time i tried chops by searching the recipe.I got from a discussion forum hub. It was very nice and aromatic with the perfect blend of spices. The original recipe was named as "Karunai kizhangu kola urundai" and it was told to deep fry. But I followed the same recipe and made in dosa tawa instead of deep frying. I would say this recipe is apt for making with elephant yam and raw banana. My doter loved it very much.We enjoyed with sambhar and curd rice !!
- Wash & soak the kizhangu in abundant water for sometime to remove all the mud.
- Pressure cook in high flame for 1 whistle.It should be half done.(Skin should be hard to touch)
- Now grind all the items given above adding required salt & water to make a smooth paste.
- Remove the skin of the kizhangu and chop it round.
- Now mix the paste ans marinate for sometime. The kizhangu should be fully coated with the paste.
- Now heat the dosa tawa and sprinkle some oil. Cover Cook the marinated pieces for sometime.Keep the flame low for even cooking. flip the pieces to cook the other side and do the same.
- I Wanted a brown layer to be formed so i kept for a longer time.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves and add lime juice if necessary.
- Karunai kizhangu Chops is ready !!
- If u want to try kolas , just cook the kizhangu well till it mashes.Mash it with ur hands and add the paste.Mix well. Add finely chopped onions and coriander leaves . Make small balls and deep fry them in batches.
- If u wish to try the same with senai / elephant yam , add little more tamarind paste by avoid the irritation in tongue.Add less tamarind paste to make the same with raw banana.