My mom used to make instant coffee with Bru. Its my favourite.I love it from my childhood days.I had a thought only Brahmins make filter coffee.So i used to call filter coffee as “ Brahmin’s coffee” / “Iyer coffee”.. I tasted filter coffee only after my marriage from my MIL’s hands.She uses Coffee day , Indus Coffee powder & sometimes cothas too. Everything tastes good.I should say i am addicted to the taste & smell of it .Sometimes i feel giddy after having a coffee.. So my husband tells me to avoid coffee/tea.He scolds me whenever he sees a cup of coffee in my hand.Though i try to refrain from drinking coffee , i cannot do it. I drink minimum of one cup per day .. I know most of u love coffee like me Do try this recipe with some tips i’ve given below. I am sure it helps .I have given “ How to make Bru instant coffee for beginners” from my mom. Please have a look at the end ..Also Dont forget to read the tips section. I’ve given the explanation for “Degree coffee “ which i got from wikipedia. Its interesting
|**COFFEE FILTER |
You'll need a traditional FILTER which is made of 4 parts.
2. The percolator, you can also see the base is punched with holes
3. Strainer, this looks like an umbrella .
4. Collector, The fourth part forms the base which collects the strained decoction.
- In a kadai dry roast a fistful of fenugreek seeds and powder it in mixie.Add this powder to the coffee powder while making decoction.This gives additional bitterness & flavour.Its healthy too. Diabetes patients can give this a try. But its completely optional for others...
- I have used “Coffee day coffee powder “ with chicory.If u use INDUS or COTHAS or COFFEE DAY coffee powder without chicory add 2 tbsp instead of 1 tbsp.. U can make 3 cups of coffee with the coffee powder quantity i’ve mentioned.
- I have used small size filter. If u use bigger ones , increase the quantity of coffee powder twice or thrice. Please don’t use the same quantity for big filters. If u have left over decoction , u can keep it in refrigerator and use it the next day . But Please avoid keeping decoction for 3-4 days. It may become a poison.
- If u feel the decoction is brewed very slowly , tap it once on the umbrella like strainer or show the filter over the flame for few secs before adding coffee powder.I’ve mentioned to add sugar before adding coffee powder . This is also for quicker brewing..
- Another explanation for degree coffee is that chicory beans were used to make the coffee. The South Indian pronunciation of chickory became chigory then digory and finally degree.
- Yet another explanation is that, when coffee is decocted for the first time, it is called as the first degree or simply as the "Degree Coffee". This has the strongest flavour and the necessary strength to mix with milk without watering down the taste. In less affluent households, in earlier days, coffee was decocted for a second or third time from the same initial load; this became the second degree coffee and naturally, is not as strong. Affluent households drank first degree or the famous "Degree Coffee" only.
- Interestingly, there is a Kannada name for coffee "Boondh Bisneeru". "Bisneeru" sounds a great deal like "bisi neeru," or "hot water," thus leading to speculation that the terms are connected. Although not used currently, this was used by ladies two generations ago. The Srilankan Tamil name for coffee is "Kottai Vadineer".
- For cleaning the filter , drop the bottom part in hot water for few mins. Also pierce the holes with a needle to clean it.
- In Hotels , they used to add hot water till half of the filter and after it drips down , they again add hot water for half filter. This way helps to extract the full essence of coffee powder and also the coffee tastes gr8.
My MIL says making instant coffee is also an art. She says , the sugar should be just rite. Sometimes it may be too bitter or too sweet to taste.She also says my mom makes good instant coffee. So i got this ratio of sugar & coffee powder from my mom , tried it and posted for beginners.. Experts , please excuse me
- Boiled milk – 1 tumbler ( 200 ml )
- Bru instant powder– 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ( Add 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp , that would be enough . it u want strong coffee , add 1/4tsp more.)
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Water – Add very little( say some 1/8 cup) ( if milk to too thick. My mom said milk shouldn’t be too thick for good coffee..)
- Boil the milk and take one cup of it. Add sugar , coffee powder and froth it.Check for taste and add more coffee powder for strength and color if necessary.I love coffee to be mild , so i add very less coffee powder. Please adjust as per ur taste.
** Please don’t add more sugar for the mentioned amount of Bru because u wont get the bitter taste and sweetness would be more.For 3 people , u can add 1 tsp of coffee powder.