Its been my long time wish to try other state foods.I really got bored of making our usual sambar, vathakulambu etc..So with my hubby’s acceptance and guidance i tried andhra thali as a first step .He had tasted andhra food in some restaurants like Nandini , Nagarjuna .So he told me the names of dishes they serve in the platter .I googled and found good recipes from some of the blogs. They came out very well. My hubby thoroughly enjoyed all the dishes i made. I too loved it. My daughter who is a fussy eater loved the food. I was very happy that my first attempt in andhra food was a big success. While cooking i found some ingredients ,they use commonly in almost all the recipes.They use Red chillies , Ginger & Garlic paste , Hing and ajwain. .I think these ingredients gives the aroma and spiciness in their food. My house was filled with nice aroma when i prepare all these dishes.People who love spicy foods must try andhra food. Ok,coming to the platter ..
In the above picture u can see Andhra Sambar , Tomato Rasam , Mamdikaya cauliflower pachadi , Ivygourd poriyal ( Tindora curry) , Palakura pappu ..
PALAKURA PAPPU / DAL PALAK
My hubby told this recipe tasted exactly like the one he had in restaurants. Thanks a lot sailu’s food .
- For variations u can try sauting the onions , green chilles , palak leaves in little oil before pressure cooking with dal.
- Always do the seasoning in the end.
- If u want u can do the seasoning using oil and add little ghee on top of the dal.
- Give a standing time of at least half an hour before serving for all the tastes to blend.
I got the following recipes from here. If u wanna try varieties of andhra thali,u must visit this blog to get a good idea. She has given nice collection of recipes.Thanks Srinithya
coriander leaves – to garnish.
- The vegetables should not be over cooked.
- As per the original recipe , madras sambar masala is used . But i used my home made sambar powder.
- I also used red chillies while tempering and i tempered at the end.
MAMDIKAYA CAULIFLOWER PACHADI | RAW MANGO CAULIFLOWER PACHADI
Thought she has given varieties of pachadi in her blog , i chose this one just becoz of this combination. I wanted to try this combo and as it sounded unique and different.I’ve got an yummy raw mango dish to add in my mango recipes list.
TINDORA TOMATO CURRY | IVYGOURD TOMATO STIR FRY
- I dint deep fry the tindora pieces instead i shallow fried it for sometime and proceeded the recipe.
- Make sure the tindora is not overcooked while pressure cooking.
TOMATO DAL RASAM
I made slight changes in the actual recipe to suit my hubby’s taste. It tasted excellent and flavourful the next day. I reheated the rasam and used the same for two days