UPDATED : I tried this sambar with drumstick and updated a picture below. When I added drumstick, it tasted good with rice as well. So this sambar can be had with rice if you add drumstick.Also see the actual color of sambar. I served it with brown rice idli below.
POINTS TO NOTE
- As per the original recipe, the quantity of drumstick should be twice that of toor dal. For this quantity, u should use 1 drumstick. Chop into small finger size pieces.Alternatively, you can use 2 brinjal, 1 medium carrot,1 medium sized potato. But flavor of the sambar may vary.
- If you add drumstick, u can serve this sambar with rice too. Color of the sambar also varies.
- This Sambar masala needs 12 ingredients. So please keep them ready in a plate before roasting. Roasting the spices perfectly is the key for this sambar.So do not burn them.
- According to the original recipe, the quantity of tamarind and jaggery should be equal. But I reduced the jaggery as Sendhil doesn’t like the sweet taste in sambar.
- I used long red chilli but original recipe called for using guntur chilli. So slight color deviation in the sambar was there.
- The original recipe called for pressure cooking tomato, onion and drumstick pieces separately for one or two whistles in high flame whereas I cooked them along with the dal by keeping them in a small box inside the cooker. Refer the pics and video for more detail. I did this to reduce the cooking time of sambar.
- As a general rule of hotel sambar, it tastes the best when you give more standing time.So if you prepare this sambar for your guest, prepare it 3-4 hours in advance. Reheat it at the time of serving.
- The yield of this sambar will be more as it thickens when cools down.So add little water at the end, mix well, check for salt and then serve.
- If you want to make this sambar only for 2 people, use half of the quantity of ingredients mentioned.
- Adding ghee at the end is a must. It gives awesome flavor to this sambar.
- Garnish with coriander leaves without fail.
Enjoy this yummy idli sambar with piping hot idli ! Tastes great
Flickr Tags: Annapoorna hotel sambar recipe,Coimbatore annapoorna hotel sambar recipe,Coimbatore annapoorna hotel style sambar,how to prepare hotel style idli sambar,how to make hotel idli sambar,south indian style sambar,tiffin sambar recipe,how to prepare hotel idli sambar,hotel idli sambar in tamil,how to prepare idli sambar,hotel sambar powder recipe,mini idli sambar recipe in tamil