I learnt this recipe from my friend Shalini..She told me two methods of making aapam..I find this as the easiest method ..I tried this for breakfast yesterday and it was a super duper hit ..The second method is the authentic one.There are no big differences in both the methods.I’ve given the second method below.Just have a look.U can try whichever u feel better …I’ve already tried aapam once which is my mom’s recipe..But it dint come out as my mom’s.This one is very easy and tastes divine with sweet coconut milk and onion chutney as entremets.
I Prepared idly batter without salt and kept for fermentation.The next day i added the following ingredients.
- **Idly batter (unsalted) - 1 bowl (I took the batter for making 10 aapams.)
- Medium size coconut – 1/2 no (arai moodi)
- Salt – as needed
- Sugar – A pinch
- Cooking soda – 2 pinches
- Take the fermented idly batter(unsalted) in a bowl and add salt,sugar and cooking soda.
- Grind the coconut with 1/2 cup of warm water and take the first milk.Transfer half of the first milk into a separate bowl.U can use it as side dish by adding sugar and cardamom powder..
- Add the remaining half of the milk into the batter..
- Again grind the coconut with little water and extract the second milk from it..Add this milk to the batter completely.(The coconut milk should be added such that the batter should not be too watery.It should be little loose)
- Mix the batter well and leave it for 10 mins.
- Now take a kadai (i used non-stick ) and grease with oil.Pour a ladleful of batter in the center of the kadai.Lift the kadai and tilt it in circular motion so that the corners will be thin and thick in the center.
- Pour a tsp of oil around the aapam and cover it with a lid.Simmer the flame.
- Cook on one side only..
- Once it gets cooked remove and serve hot!!
Serve hot with coconut milk and onion chutney!!
Usually we all make vegetable stew for aapam..But this chutney also goes very well..Try this and let me know:)
- Big Onion – 1 no
- Red chilly – 2 nos
- Urad dal – 1.5 tsp
- Asafetida /Hing – a pinch
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Tamarind – 1 seed
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt & water – as needed
- Heat a kadai with 1 tsp of oil and roast the urad dal ,red chilly with hing.Set aside.
- In the same kadai add the sliced onions and saute well.Before switching off the flame just add the curry leaves and toss for a second.Then switch off the flame and cool down.
- Now grind the sautéed onion & curry leaves along with roasted items ,tamarind,salt & water …
Flavorful Onion - curry leaves chutney is ready to go with Aapam..
AUTHENTIC RECIPE FOR AAPPAM:
Here comes the original authentic recipe for aapam which is the second method told by my friend..The difference between this and the previous method is in the ingredients for making the batter.For the first method i used 2 cups of idly rice ,1/2 cup of urad dal and 1 tsp of methi seeds.The ingredients for this method are as follows.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Par boiled rice/Idly rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Methi seeds – 1 tsp
- Grind the batter without adding salt and ferment it for 1o hrs.
- Then follow the same steps given in the first method.
**Idly batter preparation:
- 2 cups of idly rice
- 1/2 cup of urad dal
- 1 tsp of methi seeds
- water – as needed.. ( Dont add much of water.Batter should be thick).
|1. When bubbles does not form in the dosa, add little more cooking soda. |
2. If the bottom of the dosa sticks to the pan and doesn’t come out well that shows coconut milk added is more than the required measure.
|COCONUT : |
Coconut In Traditional Medicine
Coconut In Modern Medicine
Once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content, it is now known that the fat in coconut oil is a unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many health giving properties. It is now gaining long overdue recognition as a nutritious health food.
Cosmetics and skin treatments
Coconut oil is excellent as a skin moisturizer and softener. A study shows that extra virgin coconut oil is effective and safe when used as a moisturizer, with absence of adverse reactions. Although not suitable for use with condoms, coconut oil may be used as a lubricant for sexual intercourse, though it may cause an allergic reaction in some.
In India and Sri Lanka, coconut oil is commonly used for styling hair, and cooling or soothing the head. People of Tamil Nadu and other coastal areas such as Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Goa bathe in warm water after applying coconut oil all over the body and leaving it as is for an hour in the belief it keeps the body, skin, and hair healthy.
I'm not talking about its benefits only . For all its healing miracles, this super food does contain some disadvantages though.
TRIED & TASTED:
EXPRESS TOMATO SAMBHAR FROM MAHIMAA’S KITCHEN:
I tried this sambhar for dosa and it tasted great..Thanks mahimaa for this quick ,delicious sambhar.. I just followed her recipe but i made it little watery as per my hubby’s taste..:)
See u all in the next post