Rava idli is one of the easiest breakfast recipes which helps me when i run out of idli dosa batter... Very recently i started making this idli at home and i have made this 3-4 times so far..Sendhil loves this a lot.. It comes out very soft and porous . I got this recipe from Aval vikatan’s restaurant style recipes supplementary book.The softness of this idli lies in the consistency of batter,addition of curd & ENO fruit salt or cooking soda.You can try this recipe without Eno.In that case,add cooking soda as given in the recipe.But i have not tried using cooking soda.To make it a healthy breakfast recipe, my MIL adds grated carrots,cabbage and cooked peas.So i too make it this way.Rava idli tastes the best when served hot with coconut chutney..Try this simple recipe and let me know how u liked it..
|Semolina is a very gritty, coarse type of flour, usually made from wheat however the term is also applied to maize. It contains the nutritious heart (endosperm) of the grain, which is left behind during milling when the finer flour is sifted. Semolina is made from durum wheat, a hard variety of wheat quite unlike the wheat used to make bread. Durum semolina is commonly used in the manufacturing of pasta because of its high gluten content, which gives the pasta its pleasant taste and ensures that it retains its shape during the cooking process.|
· This low-fat, high carbohydrate food offers a lot of energy along with a variety of other nutrients
· It is low in cholesterol and sodium and fairly high in fibre and can be safely incorporated into a well-balanced diet.
· Semolina is high in protein, very high in complex carbohydrates and fairly high in potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and fibre, with some iron, zinc, manganese and copper.
· It is very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium, and contains zero trans fatty acids.
· It is high in vitamin E and contains a fair amount of the B complex vitamins (especially folic acid).
· Because semolina is made from durum wheat and not the softer wheat that goes into bread, it is digested more slowly and has a low glycemic index, which is good news for people wishing to control or reduce their weight and blood sugar, and especially for diabetics.
· The high carbohydrate content makes semolina an ideal food for active, energetic people.
· Especially significant are potassium, which supports good kidney and heart function and the smooth function of other muscles, phosphorus, required by the body to metabolize energy, magnesium for healthy muscles, bones and nerves, calcium for strong bones and zinc to boost the immune system.