This year 2015,Purattasi month starts on 18th September (Friday) and it lasts till 17th October(Saturday).This year there are 5 Purattasi Saturdays (Sanikizhamai).So you can make this thaligai and do the pooja on 1st,3rd or 5th Saturday of this month.
19 September 2015 – 1st Saturday
26 September 2015 – 2nd Saturday
3 October 2015 – 3rd Saturday
10 October 2015 – 4th Saturday
17 October 2015 – 5th Saturday
Last year we celebrated Purattasi Sani in my in-laws place.I clicked the pictures and kept in draft to make this post.I hope beginners who look for Purattasi Pooja procedures would be benefitted by this post.And I consider this post as my record for future reference too.
Disclaimer : Pooja vidhanam/Procedures I have shared here is based on our tradition.It may vary from place to place.So please ask the elders of your family and make changes as per your practice.
- One silver sombu/Pot or silver tumbler ( Use velli pathram) for drawing Namam,Sangu & Chakaram OR You can draw on walls too.It is assumed as the Lord.Invert the sombu and draw using Namakatti( a piece of chalk) Refer the picture for the idea.
- Vada malai with 11 or 21 pepper vadas (without onion)
- 5 Rice varieties ( Sweet pongal,Coconut rice,Tamarind rice, black Sesame seeds/Ellu rice,Curd rice) OR No onion No garlic full meals
- Sundal ( White or brown Chana OR Chana dal/Kadalai paruppu sundal)
- Fruits,Betel leaves & Nuts
- Tulsi water for neivedyam ( Add tulsi leaves,crushed cardamom,cloves,a pinch of edible camphor(Pachai karpooram) to a cup of water)
- Tulsi leaves or garland
- Incense stick,camphor
You should undergo fasting till you finish the pooja on Purattasi saturday.Making rice varieties for neivedyam is very easy .You can prepare pulikachal paste,ellu podi the previous day night.Soak chana dal for kozhukattai,Urad dal for vada and coconut rice.Grind the urad dal and make the vada batter.Store in refrigerator till next day’s use.Keep a sombu ready & draw the sangu,chakkaram,Namam using Namakatti or rice flour paste and let it dry.Wash the lamps and keep it ready by keeping sandal & kumkum dots.The next morning draw the Kolam.We usually draw Sangu,Chakkaram and Namam in the entrance and in pooja room.Take a pressure cooker and cook rice & dal for sweet pongal.In a small bowl,take the soaked chana and cook along with rice n dal.In another cooker,cook the rice for puliodharai,coconut rice, ellu sadam and curd rice.Remove 3/4th of the cooked rice and spread in a plate to cool down.Drizzle some sesame oil.Mash the remaining rice for curd rice.Add boiled milk,curd and salt to the mashed rice.Mix well and temper it.Grind the urad dal adding little water and make pepper vada.Make 11 or 21 vada and tie in a thread to make vada malai.Prepare maa vilakku by grinding grated jaggery & rice flour adding cardamom.Add ghee and make a ball.Put a dent,add ghee.Put a thread & kumkum dots.Keep it ready for pooja.
How to do pooja
After preparing rice varieties,sundal,sweet pongal,vada malai and maa vilakku,arrange everything in a banana leaf or a plate and keep in front of silver pot/sombu.Place the fruits,betel leaves,nuts & coconut in a plate.Light the lamp.Keep tulsi water.Light maavilakku and do the neivedyam,.Show dhoop & dheep.Finish the pooja and drink the tulsi water first.Then you can have the lunch.We enjoyed the variety rice with koozh vadam & potato chips.
Links for Neivedyam Recipes
- Sakkarai pongal/Sweet pongal
- Tamarind rice OR Pepper Puliodharai
- Chana dal sundal
- Coconut rice
- Curd rice
- Ellu/sesame seeds rice
- Anjaneyar Kovil Vada
- Pepper vada
- No onion No Garlic Lunch Menu
Technorati Tags: Purattasi Sani,Purattasi Sani thalu,Purattasi Sani thaligai,Purattasi Sanikizhamai,Purattasi month,Purattasi 2015,Purattasi significance