This is one of the signature dishes of my mom..She is a native of tirunelveli (Nellai )..This Sodhi is prepared only when we have special guests @home , especially newly married couples. Its completely made out of coconut milk , a bit time consuming process too..The best accompaniment for sodhi is ginger pachadi which helps in easy digestion of coconut milk.So if u plan to make this , don’t forget to prepare ginger pachadi ..Also we make raw banana chips to munch
Ingredients for 2 persons:
- Coconut – 1 no (My mom says 1/2 coconut for 1 person.)
- Drum stick – 1 no (cut into finger size)
- Potato – 1 no (cube cut)
- Green chilly – 2 nos (slit cut)
- Garlic – 1 bulb or less (its ur wish, i add more)
- Small onions – 5-7 nos (peel the skin )
- Ginger – 1 inch size (finely chopped )
- Warm Water – 4 tumblers or 4 cups
- Cooked Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
- Lemon – 1/2 no
- Salt – Less than the required amount
To grind :
- Green chilly – 1-2 nos (adjust)
- Salt – a little (just to retain the color of chilly)
- Grate the coconut and add 1 cup of warm water..Grind it ,squeeze and take the first milk.Keep it aside.
- Then add 1 tumbler of warm water and again repeat the same process to take the second milk.Set aside.
- Finally add the remaining 2 tumblers of water & take the third milk .
- Heat a kadai with 1 tbsp of oil and saute small onions , garlic and green chilly.
- Transfer everything into the bowl in which the third milk is kept..Add the potato cubes & drumstick pieces.Add little salt.
- Close the bowl with a lid and let everything cook nicely.
- If u feel the water is less , add little.
- In the mean time pressure cook the moong dal till mushy & grind the green chillies with salt.
- Once the veggies are cooked , add the second milk along with the ground chilly & cooked moong dal.
- Let it boil well for 5-10 mins and becomes thick.
- Lastly add the third milk and boil for another 5 mins.
- Switch off the flame & leave it for half an hour.
- Then add the lime juice and mix well.
Mix with hot rice & enjoy with ginger pachadi & chips.
GINGER PACHADI :
- Ginger – 1 big finger size
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Red chilly – 1 no (adjust)
- Tamarind – small berry size
- Jaggery – small berry size (i like it sweetish, so adjust acc. to ur taste)
- Salt – a pinch
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
- Small onions – 3 nos (finely chopped)
- Red chilly - 1 no (pinch into two)
- Chop the ginger finely and set aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil saute the ginger , coriander seeds and red chilly till nice aroma arises.
- Grind it with little salt to a smooth paste.
- Heat the kadai with a tsp of oil and season with mustard seeds, urad dal .Then saute small onions & red chilly..
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and extract the juice.
- Add the ginger paste with tamarind water and boil for 5 mins.Then add the jaggery to it.
- Allow to boil until it reaches pachadi consistency.
Serve with sodhi ..
|COCONUT : |
Coconut In Traditional Medicine
Coconut In Modern Medicine
Once mistakenly believed to be unhealthy because of its high saturated fat content, it is now known that the fat in coconut oil is a unique and different from most all other fats and possesses many health giving properties. It is now gaining long overdue recognition as a nutritious health food.
Cosmetics and skin treatments
Coconut oil is excellent as a skin moisturizer and softener. A study shows that extra virgin coconut oil is effective and safe when used as a moisturizer, with absence of adverse reactions. Although not suitable for use with condoms, coconut oil may be used as a lubricant for sexual intercourse, though it may cause an allergic reaction in some.
In India and Sri Lanka, coconut oil is commonly used for styling hair, and cooling or soothing the head. People of Tamil Nadu and other coastal areas such as Kerala, Karnataka, Maharashtra and Goa bathe in warm water after applying coconut oil all over the body and leaving it as is for an hour in the belief it keeps the body, skin, and hair healthy.
I'm not talking about its benefits only . For all its healing miracles, this super food does contain some disadvantages though.
TRIED & TASTED:
KOLA URUNDAL KUZHAMBU FROM RAKS KITCHEN
AWARDS & A TAG :
Priyaraj has passed me this wonderful award., thanks a lot dear.
Also sanghi has honored me by announcing as her diamond friend.So sweet of u dear
1. A – Available/Single? Married
2. B – Best friend? Yamini in school days & shalini in college days ..Still we are the best ;)
3. C – Cake or Pie? Cake
4. D – Drink of choice? Milk with Lion dates syrup
5. E – Essential item you use every day? Salt in my cooking
6. F – Favorite color? RED
7. G – Gummy Bears Or Worms? Nil
8. H – Hometown? Salem
9. I – Indulgence? At present Sleep because the time is 12 midnight.
10. J – January or February? July , my birth month ;)
11. K – Kids & their names? One & Only Daughter, Raksha (2.5 yrs old)..
12. L – Life is incomplete without? Friends
13. M – Marriage date? 21 / 04 / 05
14. N – Number of siblings? cute , younger sister
15. O – Oranges or Apples? Apples
16. P – Phobias/Fears? Fears
17. Q – Quote for today? We teach what we live.
18. R – Reason to smile? jokes
19. S – Season? Spring
20. T – Tag 4 People? Most of u have completed this tag already. So no need i feel.
21. U – Unknown fact about me? Stubborn crane ;) My hubby knows it
22. V – Vegetable you don't like ? Love all the vegetables. My MIL praise me for this :)
23. W - Worst habit – Same , stubbornness only
24. X – X-rays you've had? Don’t remember..
25. Y – Your favorite food? Idly upma
26. Z – Zodiac sign? Leo
Have a happy weekend friends.Bye