I tried this pulao from Mrs.Mallika badrinath’s “Rice delights” cook book.I wanted to try this pulao after tasting in a restaurant.I wont say this one tasted exactly as i had in restaurant.But it was good and tasted unique.. we all liked it.
A note to weight watchers : Though this pulao is healthy with all fruits,veggies and nuts , its highly calorific!!! U can try this by avoiding paneer , butter & fresh cream.Replace fresh cream with condensed milk ..
This would be suitable for kids and slim people like me !!
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Cooked Carrot – 2 nos (diced)
- Cooked Peas – 1/4 cup
- Pine apple , Apple – 1 cup (diced )
- Capsicum –1 no (diced )
- Paneer cubes – a few
- Saffron threads – a few (soak in warm milk )
- Big onions – 2 nos (sliced )
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp ( if u want u can reduce the sugar by half)
- Salt – as required
- Rose water – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cloves & cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp (to get 1/4 tsp grind 3 cardamom seeds & 4 cloves together to make a powder )
- Bay leaf – 1 no
- Cashews, Almond and pista – 1 handful.
- Dry grapes – 1 fistful
- Cook the diced carrot and peas in a cooker and set aside.Take care they dont get over cooked.
- Wash and soak the rice in 2 cups of water for 30 mins.(if u want u can fry the rice in ghee before soaking ). Pressure cook the rice by adding a tsp of ghee and salt. Rice should be separate and grainy.
- In a wide mouthed kadai , fry the onions till brown & crisp.Keep it aside.
- Also deep fry the paneer cubes and keep it in hot water .
- In a broad kadai take a tbsp of oil and add the bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- Then add capsicum pieces and saute till it becomes soft.
- Add the cooked peas , carrot , boiled rice , fresh cream , dry fruits , nuts ,sugar , saffron milk and required salt .
- Toss it well..Before switching off the flame add the rose water , fruit pieces , paneer cubes , cardamom & clove powder and butter.
- Mix well and switch off the flame.
Serve hot with raita or any kurma of ur choice..
After a looooooooooong time i am participating in an event..
I prepared this pulao for my hubby’s lunch box..so i am sending this entry to Radhika Vasant’s lunchbox event.Hope she would accept this :) ..